Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The horror of my actions!!!  (Read 11049 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The horror of my actions!!!
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:11:13 pm »
Holy smokin' cadoodalhoppers.  It has been so ding dang cold, about -2C (that be 28F).  Now some of you may laugh, and say that is not cold, but it is for me!!! (and those others in the PNW, like Jody, Brian, Sean, Winenutguy and a couple of others).  Freezing my butt off outside, the chicken water is frozen and I have to bring down warm water from the house.  Oh yes, wah, wah, wah.

Anyways, outside with my Husband today, cleaning out the chickenhouse, so it is not so damp and is a little warmer.  I finished with the plastic shovel and kind of hurridly placed the shovel outside the door leaning it against the side of the barn.  Eeks!!!  I turned back to pushing more sawdust around the floor and out of the corner of my eye I thought that I saw a chicken fighting with another chicken, so I turned to look better.  There was a chicken doing the funky chicken, it had fallen over (it was a young one) and was bouncing up and down on its side, flopping all over the place.  Oh no!!!  I guess the shovel had smashed down on this poor little chicken and that bonk was just in the process of taking it to the end of its life.  I picked it up, wondering, now what....I knew now what....but I didn't want to think of the now what....I looked at Ken and asked him if he would take this bird and do the now what, that I knew had to be done.  It was done, and the little bird was put beneath the soil, deeply and securely.  Oh life on the farm, its just another day, have that most wonderful and awesome day, love and live life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: The horror of my actions!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:54:37 pm »
Oh Cindi, I know how you feel!  I hate it when I do something & one of the animals has to pay for it. You do learn from each one though so over the years we don't lose as many!  Sounds kinda cold for people who are just getting into raising critters but with animals you do lose some & can't keep worrying about every loss. I'm sorry for you though.  Luckily you have Ken, I can't do the deed either & by the time I got B out from the computer it would be dead anyways!
 It is soooooo flippen cold, & the wind! Not even my hot flashes are helping me now!  Did you get snow too?  We have just a bit here but it's not going anywhere.  Miss Ginny Guinea has been sleeping w/chix in the coop FINALLY!!  Must be too cold for her by herself on the fence.  Also, this is the time of year when the critters are having a harder time finding food. Until most of the young/oldest ones die off the attacks on domestic stuff will be higher. Have noticed all the squished raccoons & possoms lately, young dumb ones from the size. Keep warm!!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:12:44 am »
Jody, glad Miss Ginny Guinea finally got smart and joined the clan to keep warm.  It is surprising of the body warmth factor, I love to pick up a warm body on a cold day, feels so good eh?  Yes, Jody, we got a skimmer of snow, but it is so cold and clear it has not done anything more of the snow, it just kind of flows and blows and bumps around.  It has been very, very windy here too, that brings the cold down even more cold.  Right now it is -5 C (23F).  We are not this type of cold-oriented now, are we?   Hee, hee, us babies in the temperate Pacific Northwest, hee, hee.  Check out the PM I am sending you about hot flashes.  Have that wonderful and most awesome life and day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:29:01 am »
Jody, glad Miss Ginny Guinea finally got smart and joined the clan to keep warm.  It is surprising of the body warmth factor, I love to pick up a warm body on a cold day, feels so good eh?  Yes, Jody, we got a skimmer of snow, but it is so cold and clear it has not done anything more of the snow, it just kind of flows and blows and bumps around.  It has been very, very windy here too, that brings the cold down even more cold.  Right now it is -5 C (23F).  We are not this type of cold-oriented now, are we?   Hee, hee, us babies in the temperate Pacific Northwest, hee, hee.  Check out the PM I am sending you about hot flashes.  Have that wonderful and most awesome life and day, health.  Cindi

Tell me also about the hot flashes, I want to know!!

Also I would have a very hard time keeping any animals and watching them die. I had enough trouble just with my cat always worrying about it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 10:48:43 am »
Annette, oh you are so ding dang cute.  You remind me of a little girl that needs to be let in on a secret, I will bring you in on my secret, hee, hee, smiling.  I get such a kick out of you, my darling forum girlfriend.....check out your PM coming your way.  Have a most wonderful life, day, health.  Cindi

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:06:52 am »
I know all about the hot flashes :evil: When the wife gets them I run for the hill's and if I have to stay home I just keep my mouth shut and my head low :-X :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:11:47 am »
Oh Irwin, now all I have to say is:

You are one very smart man, hee, hee!!!   8-) :-X ;) :) :)  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 12:48:08 pm »
Hot flashes - tell me about them!  And Cindi, share with your fellow hot-flashed sister!  I am so tired of them!

I am so sorry to read about your chick death.  I worry about the door on the coop slapping shut on one of them, all it takes is a moment and the poor things are maimed!  But I need the spring to close the door behind me or one of the little darlings will escape into the yard when we're not able to watch over them.  They're safe in their run, but out in the yard they're wide open to all of the hawks and owls we've seen around here (a Great Horned Owl was silhouetted over the coop the other night in the sunset, Woodchopper saw it and showed it to me quick, before it slipped into the trees behind the house). 

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 02:25:19 pm »
Been there, done that!

Our favorite family story was my younger brother's comments when he was about 2. We had just received our shipment of chicks and my mom took the three of us out to watch the new chicks in the coop and gave us each a chance to hold the little balls of fluff. Tons of fun for little boys, not so much for little chicks... At some point in the process Joe's chick got loose and he went toddling after it but came back a bit later with a scared look on his face, a flat ball of fluff in his hand and the statement, "Chickie no more peep peep?"

Apparently, while trying to capture the chick, he had inadvertently kneeled on the poor thing.

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 02:51:07 pm »
We have a range of critters and my older kid never takes it well when one dies.

So, the other day the cat got one of her gerbils, the wife did not want to deal with it so it was left to me, I tried to be as sympathetic as I know how,

"Hey hon, I have some good news and some bad news, good news, its not going to take you as long to get everybody fed anymore. Bad news, your cat ate your gerbil"

She went running to the bedroom and the wife's look almost turned me to stone  :?

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 04:46:40 pm »
We have a range of critters and my older kid never takes it well when one dies.
"Hey hon, I have some good news and some bad news, good news, its not going to take you as long to get everybody fed anymore. Bad news, your cat ate your gerbil"

Glad I'm not the only un-politically correct one here! :roll:  Kids do much better with the truth, calm matter of fact attitude. May flip out at first but do better in the long run. They learn lessons & what to do or not to do next time.  It also helps with life's happenings later on.  When Amanda was little she make a "coffin" out of a lunch bag, decorating it however she wanted (with little girls it is lots of glitter...).  We would wrap whatever in toilet paper or a kleenex & carefully put it in, dig the hole & have a little burial(bigger things like cats went into pillow cases..goat into old sleeping bag or blanket).  She learned that when things die they change, you can see that their personality & life force isn't there & they don't come back, physically gone forever.  Helps em cope when grandparents or friends go, they are still in our hearts & memories but the physical is gone. So has she asked for a new one yet..or better yet, a bigger animal???  You know it's coming!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 07:13:29 pm »
Until most of the young/oldest ones die off the attacks on domestic stuff will be higher. Have noticed all the squished raccoons & possoms lately, young dumb ones from the size. Keep warm!!  J

Yeah, Tis the season, ain't it.  Road Kill for Christmas dinner.  Do you prefer Opossum or Raccoon.  I prefer the Raccoon over the opossum, having dined on both.

Say, Oldenglish, weren't you three wearing the same cloths when you came to see me? 

Poka-bee, as for being politically correct, I'm all for PETA, People Eating Tame Animals.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:44:57 pm »

Poka-bee, as for being politically correct, I'm all for PETA, People Eating Tame Animals.
Actually, it's People Eating Tasty Animals  :evil:

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:10:35 pm »

Actually, it's People Eating Tasty Animals  :evil:

Yeah, but pet lovers hate the use of tame more than tasty because tame equates to pets and tasty equates to roast turkey.  :evil:
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 11:35:44 am »
Cindi why didn't you eat it. The young one's are more tender.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 02:13:31 pm »
My son and a lop ear rabbit once and it liked to stay in the yard. The rabbit dug holes and stayed in them and came out to eat the grass and get a drink. We had it in the yard for about 4 months. I came home one day and my son came walking out the fence holding the rabbit. He threw it down on the ground and said "its dead we need a new one." He is not much of a pet person but that took me by surprise. I thought why not ducks! I went to the local ranch store and picked up three yellow baby ducks. Bought a pool, feeder, and waterer. The ducks were in the yard for about three days and then gone! My wife takes the kids for a walk down the street and sees three yellow smashed things in the road. Cant prove they were ducks but I think they were. We dont have very good luck with outside pets except for our dogs and all the stray cats. By the way anyone want a cat, Ill trap it and you just pay shipping! :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 08:27:14 pm »
Cindi, now that you got that first kill under your belt it will get easier here on out, no need now to bring them to the slaughterer, you be the slaughterer!

...JP :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 11:41:24 pm »
Wah!!!! JP yo' mean!!!  But I say that with that secret smile on my face.....maybe one day.....no more trips with birds in tow.

Oh Irwin, if you saw the size of this bird, you wouldn't even have blinked an eye at it. It was only 8 weeks old or so, just had all its feathers and not even the size or weight of a Cornish game hen, couldn't be bothered.  I was busy anyways, hee, hee,  had an agenda, had to clean out duck and chicken poop out of their pen before it became poopsicles!!!  Which is what things are now out there, it is awful, looks like a million little golf balls all over the place. The turkeys' poo is roundish and has a white dollop on the top of it, almost looks good enough to eat, hee, hee  :roll: 8-)

Oh Shawn, do you think that someone came into your yard and got the babies.

We had something horrible happen the other morning.  Not sure if I posted about it or not, but my Niece's three Muscoveys, (drake and two ducks) somehow got all the way out of her yard, down our long driveway and onto the road.  Someone ran them over.  Three dead ducks (these are mature, they were born August 7, the day after the turkey babies).  One right after the other.  It was sickening and so saddening.  It broke my heart for this poor little gal.  She worked so hard to raise these little dudes, and they had become so people friendly.  We have a mystery here, unsolved and a horrible one.  The distance from her duck yard to the road is a long, long ways, and a very meandering trail to boot.  It is probably the distance of two acres length.  How the ducks got to the road, obviously following the driveway drives me nuts!!!!  Ducks are too curious to go straight along the driveway as they must have, they have to stop, eat, catch a bug, do all kinds of things, not head off down to the busy road.  Oh well, we will never know how this happened, just another page to turn in that page on the farm.  I think that she is done with raising the baby Muscovys, the second time demise has reached these little dudes, and I think her heart is too heavy and sore.  She will be OK, I know that though.  Have that beautiful and most wonderful day, loving all our lives that we live, love and share, health. Cindi

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 02:19:02 pm »
Its hard to believe someone would run over your ducks let alone three fluffy yelow ducks :-x. I believe my sons rabbit died from a hawk. It had smal holes around its back so Im sure a hawk came in, grabbed the bunny, took off, and then dropped it. Im not made about the hawk because that is what they do and I once studied to be a falconier. It makes me mad when people run things over on purpose. Sorry for your loss Cindi

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 03:40:03 pm »
Guarantee you. I will run over any animal in the road if it come to either that or crashing my vehicle and killing the people inside.   
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything