Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laying Worker Hive Accepts Mated Queen  (Read 5619 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Laying Worker Hive Accepts Mated Queen
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:40:28 pm »

I wanted to share this with you. I had a laying worker hive, multiple eggs in cells on so many frames, so much drone brood on frames.

3 weeks ago I introduced a mated queen that I purchased from Sacramento Beekeeping Supply into the hive using the device I have attached here.

Well it worked and they accepted the new mated queen. I found single eggs this morning and found the queen walking around.

I got this queen introduction frame from Robo a few years ago, but never had to use it until now.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/downloads/beekeeping/QueenIntroFrame.pdf

I am so amazed that I was able to save a laying worker hive with this device. What do you all think about this??

Annette

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Laying Worker Hive Accepts Mated Queen
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:21:38 am »
Sory to say but it is very normal.

Beekeepers have done some "saga about worker queen". It is  result of pure imagination.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:32:32 am »
Good to hear Annette.  Nice to have a solution besides putting in new frames of eggs from a donor hive.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:44:28 am »
Nice job Annette, congratulations.

Keep having fun! :th_thumbsupup:

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:41:45 am »

I am so amazed that I was able to save a laying worker hive with this device. What do you all think about this??

Annette

Glad to hear you were able to "save" this hive.

The hive was probably queenless for 30 days before laying workers developed, and another 9 days before you confirmed drone cells being capped, and then with a three week queen introduction, you are looking at a full 60 days with no worker Brood. Around here in the north, this would almost spell certain doom losing that much production of fall brood going into winter. I guess in California you can get away with stuff like that.

Of course introduction frames work. It's just not my preferred method to deal with laying worker colonies.

Congratulations on your success.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Lazy W

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:56:06 am »
I'm Glad you were able to save your hive. Congratulations.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:06 pm »
Good to hear Annette! Lets hope your new found system works well for you in the future as well!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:47:41 pm »
Annette, good recovery. Keep up the good work.   :cheer:   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:20:49 pm »
Thanks all
I will keep you all posted on the progress of this hive and if it continues to work.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:28:41 pm »
Must have been a huge sigh of relief considering that one that tormented you a few years back. I know you tried everything you could and eventually had to shake them out. Glad they accepted her. Bravo!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 01:37:57 am »
Congratulations Annette, now get rid of the excess drone asap or you might end up with a drone colony. If I understood you right- you have a lot of it and I don't believe the girls will rework drone size comb back to worker size. Again congrats and keep us posted.
lee...

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 02:12:36 am »
It seems that Amor is out and Worker Layer is in.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 11:56:31 pm »
Congratulations Annette, now get rid of the excess drone asap or you might end up with a drone colony. If I understood you right- you have a lot of it and I don't believe the girls will rework drone size comb back to worker size. Again congrats and keep us posted.
lee...

I did wonder what would happen with all those drones, but there are also many worker bees in this colony as well. Hopefully, they will start to throw them out soon. I placed many empty frames of small size cells so she will have a place to put the worker brood.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 11:58:17 pm »
Must have been a huge sigh of relief considering that one that tormented you a few years back. I know you tried everything you could and eventually had to shake them out. Glad they accepted her. Bravo!

...JP

You remember JP what I went through, constantly placing frames of eggs in the hive only to have them remain the same. It was a torture for me and took valuable resources from this one other hive I had at the time.

I will check them next week to make sure they are indeed a viable hive.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 11:59:24 pm »
It seems that Amor is out and Worker Layer is in.

What do you mean Finski? Are you telling a joke?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 12:01:49 am »
Good to hear Annette! Lets hope your new found system works well for you in the future as well!

Scott

Thanks Scott, I heard from Sacramento Beekeeping Supply (who loans out their cage) that it worked 2 out of 3 times so far. The one time it did not work, they did not leave the queen in the cage long enough.

I just love this cage though. Robo makes them.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 12:04:51 am »
Thanks also Bjorn Bee, Mikecva, Lazy W, Blue Bee and Sundog. Hope I did not forget anyone.

Thanks for all the good wishes, I will let you all know if this indeed works out in the long run.

Annette

Offline Lazy W

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 11:14:13 am »
Yes Please keep us posted on this hive. I'm very interested in how this works out. I have never faced this problem before, When and If I do, I sure hope you can lend some advice.

anything