Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie Super vs. Medium Question  (Read 2585 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Newbie Super vs. Medium Question
« on: September 19, 2009, 06:33:57 pm »
I apologize in advance if this has already been hashed to death but I couldnt find it on here through the search engine. After reading everything that I can concerning the weight difference of full deeps versus full mediums, I have decided to start my bees on mediums. If I buy 3lb packages, will one medium (8 frame) suffice or will I add another medium when hiving the bees?  I know its too late in the year to start, just trying to get my ducks in a row for next year (by several months :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Newbie Super vs. Medium Question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:25:27 pm »
Two 8 frame mediums is less than one 10 frame deep. You can decide from there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:49:18 pm »
1 8 frame medium is enough for a 3lb package.  If I was using fully drawn comb I might want the second one on right from the start, but with just foundation or foundationless frames 1 is plenty.

Iddee I'm not sure about your math?  Unless I'm miscalculating(and I could be) 15 medium frames would equal 10 deep so two 8 frame medium boxes would be 16 medium frames.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:55:59 pm »
You're right. I was thinking

medium equals 2/3 deep......correct

8 equals 2/3 10......WRONG.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 11:27:34 pm »
The books have it broken down, that three medium boxes are the equivalent of two deeps. As has been mentioned the one medium of foundation is enough to get the package started. Just be prepared with the second box so when they have about eight frames drawn out to add the next box and so on.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:46:59 am »
Why is there a push for 8 frame brood boxes?  Not sure of the purpose. I can understand the mediums for standard equipment,but why not use ten frame boxes for brood and use eight frames in a ten frame box for supers?(After comb is drawn naturally).

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 09:23:14 am »
I can understand the mediums for standard equipment and the use of 9 frames in a super but why would you use 8 in a super ? Would the comb get even wider as it does in a 9 frame arrangement ? Will that make it difficult to cut just the caps off with it being so far away from your frame as a guide ?

Offline irekkin

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:36:38 am »
the reason i would use eight frame mediums is to save my back. not as young as i used to be. if i'd have used my head instead of my back when i was young i wouldn't be eating aleve's like m&m's.
when you're dumb, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 05:13:54 pm »
Eight frame boxes and medium boxes are all about weight.  But they also winter better as the cluster seems to fill out the box better leaving less honey behind.

Two eight frame mediums = one ten frame deep.
So four eight frame mediums = two ten frame deeps.
Three ten frame mediums = two ten frame deeps.

I start packages in only one box regardless.  So I've been known to start them in five frame mediums or eight frame mediums.  Both work fine.  A struggling package does better in less space than more space until they have drawn most of that full of comb.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 09:06:22 pm »
Michael. When you start package in a five frame medium do you just put dummie boards to fill space or center them up in box with space on both sides ?

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 11:15:23 pm »
I apologize in advance if this has already been hashed to death but I couldnt find it on here through the search engine. After reading everything that I can concerning the weight difference of full deeps versus full mediums, I have decided to start my bees on mediums. If I buy 3lb packages, will one medium (8 frame) suffice or will I add another medium when hiving the bees?  I know its too late in the year to start, just trying to get my ducks in a row for next year (by several months :)

The way we are going to start doing our splits is,put each split in a 5 frame nuc until it is full,then move to a 10 frame lg. box. If we do any more packages,we will do them the same. By keeping the hive smaller,the bees can keep wax moths and beetles and other pests out easier. Always feed packages for two months.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation