Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Softneck vs. hardneck  (Read 5986 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Softneck vs. hardneck
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:04:11 am »
garlic that is. Last year was my first for garlic. I grew, unknowingly, only hardneck varieties. I will replant about a dozen bulbs worth from my own collection and was in the process of buying some additional varieties from internet. It seems that most vendors are out of softneck varities. Whuich brings me to a question.

What is the differences between the two varities other than one can be woven?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Re: Softneck vs. hardneck
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:58:07 am »
softneck generally has more cloves per bulb than hardneck and they are smaller. softneck is supposed to be more widely adapted and therefore easier to grow (how much easier can it be?).

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:34:09 pm »
Most grocery store garlic is softneck.
Johnny

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 06:14:51 pm »
Softneck is the one that will store a long time. They have lots of smaller cloves instead of a few large ones (hardnecks are the ones with just a few large cloves). Hardnecks don't store as long and are meant to be eaten within a few months at most. 

Softneck does not produce a garlic scape or flower, hardnecks do and the flowers will turn into bulbils if you let them go. These can be replanted but it takes a few years for them to become real garlic.

I like to do a mix of both because we like to eat the garlic scapes, too.

Hardnecks are generally considered spicier than softnecks as well but I haven't always found that to be true.

This month's Herb Companion is all about garlic. It looks like most of the info is online here:
http://www.herbcompanion.com/cooking/garlic-makes-it-good.aspx

I think Seeds of Change has a good selection of organic planting garlic but Filaree Farms seems to be the one with a real selection. Filaree also has lots of garlic info that helps you figure out what you should plant.

- Jess

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 02:00:57 pm »
I'm surprised how quickly garlic sells out. When I first started planting 4 years ago I tried to purchase in late September or so and couldn't get anything. Now I am ordering in late August and still some of the most sought after varieties are sold out. I seemed to do pretty good this year. Ordered early. Still not arrived though. I guess I have plenty of time.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:04:04 pm »
I'm surprised how quickly garlic sells out. When I first started planting 4 years ago I tried to purchase in late September or so and couldn't get anything. Now I am ordering in late August and still some of the most sought after varieties are sold out. I seemed to do pretty good this year. Ordered early. Still not arrived though. I guess I have plenty of time.

I noticed the very hot (HNAT type) are sold out everywhere. I like hot stuff. Boohoo.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:32:58 pm »
My wife says I have a stiff neck.  Is this the same?  :roll:
Rick

Offline renmag

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:00:39 am »
Try Filaree farms if you haven't already. They have a ton of varieties. The Creole is a nice one that tends to be hotter than most.  My personal favorites are the Porcelain varieties cause they are larger cloved and easy peeling.
Good luck

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:26:35 am »
http://wegrowgarlic.com/301.html

you can try that one too to see if they still have what you're looking for k'dad.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:20:41 am »
Just a quick note here.  I like to grow the hardneck because of the size (and I mean size!!! huge) of the cloves.  I use lots of garlic, all the time and can't be bothered with the smaller cloves.  I have mountains of bubils from my garlic that went to seed this year.  I am going to spread it to the wind and let nature take its course and also feed it to my chickenyard critters.  I recall somewhere that it prevents some kind of parasite from attacking the innards of these guys.  I have garlic that grows wild here, all over the place, so I have mountains of garlic to harvest anytime that I choose, kind of a nice thing, and garlic greens anytime I choose too.

The softneck has its place. Yes, for surely, it is a treat for the tastebud too.

I originally got my cultivar of garlic from a place on Saltspring Island.  They have lots of varieties, but are probably sold out by now too.  Check out their site.  I think it is just plain and simply "SaltspringIslandSeeds.com" or something like that.  Googgle, Saltspring Island and it probably would come up some site or something.  It is a Canadian place, so there would be cross border stuff, but I don't think there are any restrictions on cross border with garlic and such.  Beautiful day in this great life we all live, love and share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 12:15:33 pm »
I checked out filaree and wegrow garlic. Most varities sold out. Got some from wegrow.... I did manage to find one hot variety from ebay(crankycarlsgourmetgarlic)(metechi variety). Now I just have to weed the garden to plant the garlic when it arrives.

anything