Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drawn comb from starved hive  (Read 3109 times)

Offline potomacjoe

• New Bee
Drawn comb from starved hive
« on: April 04, 2005, 11:05:08 am »
I have some drawn comb from a winter starved hive with lots of dead bees in it. Some is a bit moldy. Is this okay to use or should I just chuck it? If I use it should I remove all the dead bees? Will the mold or the dead bees from another hive be bad for a new queen and package bees?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Drawn comb from starved hive
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 11:40:30 am »
Quote from: potomacjoe
I have some drawn comb from a winter starved hive with lots of dead bees in it. Some is a bit moldy. Is this okay to use or should I just chuck it? If I use it should I remove all the dead bees? Will the mold or the dead bees from another hive be bad for a new queen and package bees?

ok theres alot of guys and gals in here that have more knowledge than me so lets see what i get wright>

I would use it unless it is just uncleanable. clean it as much as you can with out destroying it, as long as you know the bee's died from starvation and not a brood disease i would use it , but clean it as good as you can , mold shouldnt bother the bees unless you put just molded covered frames and foundation in , heck i wouldnt do that unless it was sorta clean and looked like it was saveable,,,,,robo thegolfpsycho will
 keep me strait
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline TVaughan

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 11:43:04 am »
A lot of times the mould is from old pollen. The bees will clean it up, you can use it.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 11:52:10 am »
As previously stated, as long as the original hive didn't die from foulbrood, just lightly brush it off and give it to the bees.  They will clean it up in no time (even remove the dead bees in the cells).  Giving them used/dirty comb,  will get them going much fast then starting from foundation.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 01:42:49 pm »
My one hive starved out.  A lot of bees are insice clean cells. I gived 3 frames to another hive that they pull dead bee away from cells. If dead bees stay in combs untill summer cells will be rotten.