Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Insect repellant use?  (Read 3915 times)

Offline ddarity

• New Bee
Insect repellant use?
« on: May 23, 2006, 06:30:50 pm »
This might be a stupid question, but I am wondering if it is allright to use use insect repellant (OFF etc...)on my clothing before going to my bee yard.  I am getting killed with skeeters, chiggers and ticks.  I am wondering if this would have any negative effect on the health of my bees or if it would put them in alert/attack mode.  
Many Thanks,
Dave

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
Insect repellant use?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:56:51 pm »
Skeeters,chiggers, and ticks. I'm guessing southeast Oklahoma? Skeeters around here seem to really like Off and most of the other repellents commonly available. 100% deet is usually available at army surplus stores, and Walmarts in some areas carry it, but I don't know how the bees react to it. Let us know.  The easiest thing is to just suit up. As for chiggers, keep the grass down as much as possible. Ticks show up preety good on a white bee suit. I always have my wife or my son look over my suit when I'm done.
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Insect repellant use?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 01:54:22 am »
My guess is that you will become dead beeman walking.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
insect repellant
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:57:58 pm »
Dave, you can buy permethrin to treat clothing in the camping section of walmart and some sporting goods stores. I would only treat from the feet up to your knees. You can apply it directly to clothing say 24hours before you wear them. I forget the exact directions but its something like that. This permethrin product I have seen is supposed to last a long time once it dries and it repels ticks and I believe chiggers, perhaps mosquitos. You can also put sulfur powder in your shoes and inside your socks to help with the ticks. Generally speaking, if you are in an area with lots of chiggers you need to wear long sleeves and pants, the less exposed flesh the better. As far as the mosquitos, you can do an online search for mosquito proof clothing. Try cabela's they have a lot of options. As far as mosquito spray or other sprays over your entire body, I wouldn't do it. Bees are extremely sensitive to chemicals and may resent you. Also, they probably won't like the way you smell. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline ddarity

• New Bee
insect repellant
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 05:01:27 pm »
Works fine!  I have sprayed my ankles the last several trips to the hives with no negative effects so far.  No new chigger bites, which is what was wearin me out.  The bees have not seemed to react to the scent at all.  
Thanks for the feedback.
Dave :D

Offline GT

• New Bee
Insect repellant use?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 05:36:13 pm »
I'd be reluctant to use anything on myself and near my hives that is made to kill bugs. Bees are bugs, why risk their health so you can have a few less bug bites? The world needs less chemical intrusions, not more. Calling that stuff safe is ignoring the natural order life.

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Insect repellant use?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 01:30:25 am »
A few less bug bites???...Does NY even have chiggers?  :wink: If I was in charge of the torture of an enemy, it would probably involve chiggers (or redbugs as we call them in Alabama). Those things will drive you insane! :twisted:  :twisted:
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline GT

• New Bee
Insect repellant use?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:56:50 am »
we have them, and more..my only point is that the ends may not be worth the means

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Insect repellant use?
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 01:08:06 am »
I also agree that we are chemicaling our selves to death. Maybe keeping the grass cut real short will help or do like I do and put tar paper on the ground under your hives...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com