Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: milk goat  (Read 18656 times)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: milk goat
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 11:36:08 pm »
Lone I have had both.  I loved my Dexter and the milk was way better than goats milk.  Goats milk in my coffee & on my cereal just didn't do it..not to forget butter, whipped and ice cream! :-D  And yes, too poor to own a cow or a goat now! :evil:
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 07:04:09 pm »
Why do folk have Dexters? 

Too poor to own a real cow and too proud to have a goat.

:)

Actually mini's cost more than their full sized counterparts.  The hobby or gentleman farmer has mini's the real but poor farmer labors are fulled sized.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2009, 02:11:47 pm »
Brian you are right about the initial cost but the feed, conversion & impact on small pastures is way less with small animals. Not to mention at 5'2" and 110# it is much easier for me to wrangle a 5-800# animal that stands 43" compared to a 1000-1500# 50-60 " one!  ;)

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2009, 02:25:57 pm »
+ i have no use for the amount of milk that i'd get from a full size milker.  even a mini would probably give me more than i need.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 08:00:09 pm »
Well, we ended up selling our dairy goats recently and just bought a Jersey cow.  As I said before, I liked the goat milk; however my family didn't seem to enjoy it quite as much (especially this year, it seemed more goaty).