Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen cage question  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
queen cage question
« on: June 20, 2007, 05:50:08 pm »
this new queen came in a different kind of cage than those i have purchased before.  there is a pretty big glob of candy in the hole.  i do want the attendants to take their time getting her out, but i am wondering how many days that usually takes?  i was just going to leave them be and see what happens, but was unsure of when i should expect her to be loose?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: queen cage question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 07:04:26 pm »
My packages took a few days to get through the candy.I had even poked a hole through with a 16d nail(being careful not to skewer the Queen of course).

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 07:06:09 pm »
thanks.  i'll check again in a couple of days.  we are in for a few days of rain so maybe they'll concentrate on turning her loose.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:50:33 pm »
My queen cages came with a glob the size of a quarter (1" diameter) and they were through it in 3 days. In fact, they had most of the candy cleared out of the hole, in spite of the feeder I had on the hive.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 08:59:32 pm »
>i do want the attendants to take their time getting her out, but i am wondering how many days that usually takes?

The attendants aren't who will let her out.  It's the bees in the hive.  I'd leave it for four days and then check on it.  If she's not out yet, let her out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:21:57 pm »
ok....the bees in the hive.  guess that makes sense  :-)  i'll check in 4 days.  that should be about right with the rain coming.

anything