Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Licensed Beekeeper  (Read 8851 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Licensed Beekeeper
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 07:27:51 am »
If a neighbor has a serious outbreak of AFB,you may wish that someone knew about it.It's your choice to register or not. However,it would be nice to be notified if a commercial sprayer was about to blast an area where your bees fly to regularly.If my bees stayed in my backyard the issue of sick bees within a couple miles would not be such an issue,but bees cover a lot of territory.
I myself am selective about what I choose to register or not.There was not a con in this case not to register,as my local inspector is a great source of information to our local  bee industry.He has a long history of keeping bees and he sees many more bees than I do. He sees firsthand what works here and what  doesn't.

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 12:17:27 am »
Well if he's such a nice guy, why does he not donate his time to help the bees and have a real job that makes money instead of taking my money to make his pay? I'm a welder by trade and give away 50+ handrails a year to assist seniors to get up and down the steps at there house for "FREE" did I say FREE? Do I get  a $5 tip or sometimes maybe a $20,yea. Where do I get the leads? Friends of mine  that know some one that needs help. Thats the way "I help my comunity" Beeks are a comunity I don't need no stinking inspector taxing me and everyone else for a service that take TAX money from the people that I'm putting iron work on their house. I'd like to see him with a paint brush in his hand painting a house in the comunity rather than inspecting bees. If your intouch with the comunity they will tell you if spraing or danger is in store for your bees.  

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 07:55:38 am »
Whoa,calm down here.
Where are you getting the idea he's a bureaucrat with a desk job? Inspecting bees is a real job,especially in large apaiaries and the distances one must travel to get to some of them.
He has put on picnics and tours of his apiary at his home as well as bringing beginner youth groups to show them about beekeeping.He has mentored a lot of people in one way or another and is very giving of his time.The inspectors around here take their time to go to the beekeepers club meetings.They all would take a direct call if you had a question or problem.
He has a "real" job plus doing inspections and mentoring. No personal attack needed on someone you don't know.
He was originally hired because of being an experienced keeper.Our inspectors worked long days and weekends to get the inspections done.
He does not come to the apiary  with a chip on his shoulder. Don't take it personal on him if the state pulls funding of the inspector.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:06:31 am by buzzbee »

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 09:00:10 am »
How about you pay for the inspection your self.? That way he is a private contractor, that could be licensed by the state, therefor making money for the state and him or her self. If I want my bees inspected, I pay not, you and the rest of the people.That's the way I see it working as it should be. Bet you would get better service. What you say about that? Less government,better service. What an idea.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 09:53:44 am »
How about you pay for the inspection your self.? That way he is a private contractor, that could be licensed by the state, therefor making money for the state and him or her self. If I want my bees inspected, I pay not, you and the rest of the people.That's the way I see it working as it should be. Bet you would get better service. What you say about that? Less government,better service. What an idea.

Ah! right on beaver, just like a building inspector, I do not need a stupid political hack appointee, that has never driven a nail, and does not know what a cripple is looking out for me, as I know more about building than he does. If a person does not know enough about construction to look out for his own welfare, there are persons in the business, they can hire to look out for their interest, and for a lot less than the stupid polital hacks cost us.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 06:07:56 pm »
Are you a licensed welder?If so why?Do you pay for certification? Have your welds been inspected? certified? If so why?
Should I get my welding done by some one who has not been inspected?
maybe we should get rid of beef inspectors at the slaughterhouses?
I'm not urging you guys to pay for an apiary license.If you don't want one don't get it. But be aware,if it's the law in your state,and you don't get it,be prepared to pay if you get caught.I'm sure you guys pay the fee for your drivers license .It doesn't make YOU OR THE  OTHER DRIVERS DRIVE ANY BETTER. But on the other hand,don't complain if a neighbor has AFB and no one did anything about it.
Sorry CV,don't feel bad about complying with the law. If inspections resume in our state ,I'll bet you'll be more than glad to get to know your local inspector. They are not like codes inspectors that are just book learned,most here are experienced keepers.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 06:13:14 pm »
Far from feeling sorry for compliance....  I have no idea how to find out whom my local inspector is.  I suppose I will email the next county overs beekeeping club.  I would have to drive 40 miles to go to a meeting.  I understand the reason for it and honestly call me immature at 37 but I like the fact I am licensed and have no practical experience as of yet.  8)

As I have said all winter.. SOoo excited.   :bee:  :yippiechick: :bee:
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 06:18:23 pm »
How about you pay for the inspection yourself.?

I do pay the Massachusetts bee inspection  :-P

1. I pay Massachusetts sell taxes
 2. I pay Massachusetts income taxes

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 06:54:29 pm »

You want to pay the inspection fee yourself?  Ok.  I bet the $10 to cover my license that if you were to hire someone on your own to do it, it would cost a hell of a lot more than $10 and I would also bet that the service isn't as good as you think.  The inspector that visits me has not disappointed.  Though I may not agree with everything he says, the knowledge and service he provides is invaluable to me.

BTW...I'm looking to sell my services as a bee inspector.  I charge $5.00 per hive.  I hope you have 2 hives or less.   :yippiechick: :yippiechick: :yippiechick: :yippiechick: :yippiechick: :yippiechick: :yippiechick: :yippiechick: :yippiechick:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 06:56:52 pm »
I have no idea how to find out whom my local inspector is.

I'll poke around and see if I can find the info for you.  I know there is a list on the web somewhere.  Maybe it was on the Extension's website....
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 07:29:51 pm »
Bassman and CV:
http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/Reports/Map/Contacts%20and%20Inspectors.htm#

I am not sure if the inspection program has been reinstated yet.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:42:12 pm by buzzbee »

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:59 pm »
Thanks.  I was actually on that site.  How on earth did I miss that!??!   :roll:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 09:38:36 pm »
I'm fairly sure that his office does not make enough money from the beeks to cover his payroll and his office rental etc. What gov office does. "NONE". Thats what I'm trying to get you to understand. Yea I went to school out of my pocket to be a certified welder. Do I have a cert. Yes, "I "paid for it out of MY pocket, not yours ( not tax $),(but if you want to help me pay for mine next year, its, $300.00 will you send me some $ to pay for it. No. But you'll let the government tax you and then pay additionaly. Do all my jobs require it? No. If the person hiring me needs the certicication they pay for it. Its all paper work from my office. I get paid to produce it. ( the Cert. that is) The Gov does't. Not all my costomers require it. And I don't charge them if no certification is needed. Does that mean their welds won't hold? No I'm still the same guy doing the welding.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 10:08:21 pm »
If I want an apiary license I pay out of "my pocket" not yours. Should beekeepers help offset the costs for inspections or should we just ask everyone else to pay?
When dealing with stinging insects ,if you have an incident, I would rather have my apiary license.
I know the point you are trying to make,I'm as conservative as the next guy. But I do not belittle someone for complying with the law.
We will have to agree to disagree on this point.

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 10:37:32 pm »
YEP.  You agree with me and I'll disagree with you. "Just joking, Just joking". Been fun, hope others thought so also. Lets do it again some time. Thanks for the soapbox yall. "Good Day"

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 10:39:58 pm »
Whoa,calm down here.
Where are you getting the idea he's a bureaucrat with a desk job? Inspecting bees is a real job,especially in large apaiaries and the distances one must travel to get to some of them.
He has put on picnics and tours of his apiary at his home as well as bringing beginner youth groups to show them about beekeeping.He has mentored a lot of people in one way or another and is very giving of his time.The inspectors around here take their time to go to the beekeepers club meetings.They all would take a direct call if you had a question or problem.
He has a "real" job plus doing inspections and mentoring. No personal attack needed on someone you don't know.
He was originally hired because of being an experienced keeper.Our inspectors worked long days and weekends to get the inspections done.
He does not come to the apiary  with a chip on his shoulder. Don't take it personal on him if the state pulls funding of the inspector.

You are on the money about a few things. I am lucky in the way that the state of Maryland pays the inspectors from funds that is in the budget (even though it has been cut thin) and do not require any monetary fee to register the bees here. As you said about the PA inspector, ours cover so much ground that unless there is a problem and someone calls for  colonies that may be diseased he may only be able to visit every three years. He opens his apiary to groups and has also mentored many and is still active in the club meetings. Do not hate your inspector for doing his job. He can be your best friend if you need help with a sick apiary of bees and a great source of info. about problems in your area.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 10:43:31 pm »
Now wait a minute. If you're gonna call this fight after only 3 or 4 rounds, I want my ticket money back. I came here to see a KO, not a concession.  :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 11:06:03 pm »
I want my ticket money back

Go talk to the PA Dept. of Ag.   :evil:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 11:16:31 pm »
Sorry idee. I'm out of sting. Can't give you your money back.But if you send me a self addressed stamped envelope, I'll send you a voter registeration card with a beekeeper certification I coppied off the internet. Insure you enclose a postal money order for $35.00.  Act now and I'll include a sharpee and peel-off lable so you can make yourself a "beekeeper"  bumper sticker. Don't count me out, I'll bee back. Glad you enjoyed the post. It was entertaining. Beaver Dam

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 12:49:14 am »
Lord this sounds like a coffee house dicussion. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!