Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BEEMAX  (Read 4368 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
BEEMAX
« on: November 06, 2007, 05:44:17 pm »
Ok, you Beeks with the Beemax hives, how'd you do this year ? I'd like to set up one hive next season utilizing the Beemax components from BetterBee, tell me your ups and downs, please  :)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: BEEMAX
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 07:56:13 pm »
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=11325.msg77411#msg77411

I believe the biggest benefit will be during the winter, which I have no experience with yet.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:15:23 am »
I don't have any complaints with the beemax hives thus for. I have two set ups that are doing great. Sometimes its a little bit tougher popping off the lid with the propolis but the bees took to the hives just fine, I'm using wooden frames with plasticell.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:02:30 am »
Robo, JP

Thanks for the input, I am a bit surprised at just 2 replies thus far, I thought there were more BeeMax users here.  :?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:11:19 pm »
I think most people here like wooden boxes, they're more fun and more of a pain but worth it, Ya ain't beekeeping if ya ain't building them boxes, ya know. :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:20:16 pm »
>I thought there were more BeeMax users here.

I have about four medium boxes and lids.  I tried to overwinter nucs in them but had condensation problems.  I had a top bar hive in one this year, but it went queenless for a while and didn't do very well.  I will probably put them back in it in the spring if they survive the winter, but right now I moved them into an eight frame box and stacked it up with my nucs.

If they just made them in eight frame I might try a few more of them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 06:21:31 am »
I think most people here like wooden boxes, they're more fun and more of a pain but worth it, Ya ain't beekeeping if ya ain't building them boxes, ya know. :-D

Riiiight  :-D 

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 02:13:45 pm »
Hey,

I balked at the price of them and am making a 1/4in ply fingerjointed box - lined w/1-1/2in white styro and slightly downsized (-1/4in W) Dadent style frames for SC regression.

Do a dado'd wood lip for frames (top) and perhaps a wood lip on bottom so boxes interlock approx. 1/4 in, hoping that they will be sturdier when stacked as well as the girls might not propolise as much due to less daylight and draft (theoretical    lol)

Get the fun of making and at approx. 1/6 the cost as well as the durability of wood exterior.

cheers

peter

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 02:36:15 pm »
The bees will propolise any crack. Even if it doesn't go to the outside.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline CentralFLBees

• Brood
    • Honey Bees in East Central Florida
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 12:25:14 am »
Little late but if you are still looking for input; here are my 2 cents worth.
Light, very light, I don't have any wooden hives myself, but have worked a couple.  The weight difference is incredible.
I ended up making my own top cover out of wood.  The Beemax telescoping cover is so good, and tight fitting, when the colony is strong, and they propolise it shut .......... It would take me a lot of wiggling to get it off, and since it telescopes down you can't get under it to pry it off.  I though about trimming the back side but then though against it, instead saving it to use on weak colonies.

Things scrape off it very easily, BUT you have to make sure the tool is flat on the surface or you just end up digging a groove on it with just the slightest pressure.

The walls are about an inch thick, and the material seems to be a good insulator, so I figure for winter and summer, it has got to be better/easier for the bees to regulate/maintain the internal temp.
Bad part about the thickness is that is a lot of surface for the bees to stand on during inspection, so usually a few get pancake during assembly.

The paint so far has held up great on it, and the bees could have care less that it was not wood.

http://beeanonymous.blogspot.com/
I'm happy with it, enough that I'm duplicating it next spring for my splits.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 07:29:29 am by Robo »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 11:12:40 am »
[quote author=JP
... Sometimes its a little bit tougher popping off the lid with the propolis....

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 06:20:51 pm »
Little late but if you are still looking for input; here are my 2 cents worth.
Light, very light, I don't have any wooden hives myself, but have worked a couple.  The weight difference is incredible.
I ended up making my own top cover out of wood.  The Beemax telescoping cover is so good, and tight fitting, when the colony is strong, and they propolise it shut .......... It would take me a lot of wiggling to get it off, and since it telescopes down you can't get under it to pry it off.  I though about trimming the back side but then though against it, instead saving it to use on weak colonies.

Things scrape off it very easily, BUT you have to make sure the tool is flat on the surface or you just end up digging a groove on it with just the slightest pressure.

The walls are about an inch thick, and the material seems to be a good insulator, so I figure for winter and summer, it has got to be better/easier for the bees to regulate/maintain the internal temp.
Bad part about the thickness is that is a lot of surface for the bees to stand on during inspection, so usually a few get pancake during assembly.

The paint so far has held up great on it, and the bees could have care less that it was not wood.

http://beeanonymous.blogspot.com/
I'm happy with it, enough that I'm duplicating it next spring for my splits.

:-D

Sounds Good. I ended up buying a Beemax Hive ( 2 deeps, 2 mediums, TC, screened bottom board with the sliding tray ). I have also included a wooden inner cover made for the Beemax system. I will give details next spring on my progress .

BH

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 02:59:36 pm »
are you transferring bees into one for this winter? or just dreaming of a spring swarm needing a home?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 04:18:04 pm »
are you transferring bees into one for this winter? or just dreaming of a spring swarm needing a home?

or a 3 lb. PACKAGE  :-D