Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Woud like to start beekeeping in Arkansas  (Read 2905 times)

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
Woud like to start beekeeping in Arkansas
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:34:05 pm »
Hi all my name is Carson and I woud like to have about 2 or 3 hives for the fun of it im only 18 years old and i have never done this befor I have 2 books one is " Starting Rite with bees " the other one is " Frist Lessons in Beekeeping ". Then i have 8 mags with the gear and ever thing. The people my dad and I work for  just got some more land and the guy thay got it from is all most 80 years old and he has hives like crazy most of them are put up in the  milk barn that thay got with the land  so I askd them about the hives and thay told him and he said he will sell me some of them or all of them he has to have over 200 hives and supers and he has  a 30 to 80 frame extractor. Some of them need a lot of work others are ok I have not bee inside the barn  so im gonna ask him if it is ok. He has about 4 hives with bees and he has not workd them in about 4 or 5 years now he is just to sick. I want to get some of them without the bees in them but im woried about getting them and them haveing afb or efb or any other stuff like that. So I just need all the help and idea on what to do about this. Thanks all so much                          Carson

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Woud like to start beekeeping in Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 02:47:19 pm »
Welcome aboard you have hit the right place.
Ask lots questions and we will help to answer them.
I recommend starting here.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm
Michael is a member here and posts frequently. His entire site is very good.

Sincerely.
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:55:21 pm »
Here are some fellow members in your state that also may be of some help.
AR Arkansas  (13)
   Alton: Arkansas
   queenb64: North  Arkansas
   Jon McFadden: Conway, Arkansas
   jefftck: Benton Arkansas
   pastor faron: Green Forest, Ar.
   qa33010: Arkansas, Beebe
   Myron Rotruck: Arkansas
   Gerald: Arkansas
   Peppy: White County, Arkansas
   jabourns: Atkins, Arkansas
   JERRY: BENTON CO. ARKANSAS
   ARBeekeeper: Batesville, AR
   Wrongway T: Norman, AR

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 04:16:50 pm »
Cool thanks a bunch for that info. Right now im trying to restore a 1941 farmall A tractor but i woud still like to have 2 or 3 hives for the fun of it I dont wanna get into it big I dont have room for the extractor un less it was a lil one that can hold 2 frames. I had the idea to use the Bees for my moms garden and ever thing hear to get Polinated. The land  right around my house  has nothing but blackberrys but there to small to eat but there the hives are im looking at there huge and I was watching a bee and im like thats why the blackberrys are so big. I might see 10 honey bees hear at the house a year if that and then my mom and dad cant grow some things cuz thay dont get Polinated. But any ways thanks for talking to me ill try and not to bug ever one to much lol.

anything