Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: latex vs nitrile gloves  (Read 7096 times)

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
latex vs nitrile gloves
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:12:21 pm »
does anyon see a diference in using nitrile gloves vs latex gloves in bekeeping?  can the bees sting through the ltex more than ntrile or vice versa?  how about two pairs of latex?

I use leather now and have good dexterity but would have more tactile feeling with "rubber" gloves... would love to hear your input!! thanks!

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
Re: latex vs nitrile gloves
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:26:17 pm »
I started using yellow latex gloves (playtex) from the get go, cause I was too cheap to buy real gloves. They can get a bit sweaty on hot days, and the propolis on the frames can makes the gloves stick to the frames a bit, but overall I like them. I have used a pair for about a year and they are about ready to get retired. I have not been stung through them. I had one try last weekend, but the stinger never got through and when I tried to scrape her off, the stinger stuck in the glove but not through it. I use the thumb loops to keep the sleeves over the gloves and none have ever climbed up the sleeve either. I do like the feel, but I can't compare because I have never used beek gloves.

HTH

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:29:04 pm »
I can only speak for the nitrile as that is all I have ever used but I like them, they work pretty good.
I am going to buy longer ones though because I have to stop every so often to pull my sleeve over them.
Here is a site with alot of choices.

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/category/disposable-gloves.html

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:35:04 pm »
I never had any experience with the regular Playtex type of gloves around bees, but I have used them for detailing cars for shows!  :roll: They are tough! I never though about using them for working my bees....I also get a slight allergic reaction when I use them, so I put some corn starch in there to cut down on the reaction and to help with the sweating problem.

I have used two pairs of nitrile gloves (one pair over the other) that I think came from Harbor Frieght...they came in a big box of 100! No stings using them that way, but I had one dedicated guard bee zap through and get me good using one pair while I was way the heck up there on a ladder once....used two pair ever since then.

Brenda

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:10:44 am »
Are you asking about moving hives around or doing inspections?  For moving keep the leather ones.  For inspections, try something thinner.  I don't usually wear gloves, but when I do, I prefer the nitrile despite the added sweat accumulation vs cloth or leather.  See if you can get samples and get something that fits snug over your hand.  A loose nitrile or latex glove will be a nuisance as it gets stuck under or between frames.  In my experience (both beekeeping and at work) latex will tear before nitrile

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:19:12 am »
I've been using latex because I have a bunch of extras I need to use up. I've been stung several times through a single layer, but when I double them I do OK. I have two different sizes: Med I wear on my hand, Lg I wear over the med. I'm a girl, I've got smallish hands. Once the latex ones are gone, I plan to try nitrile.

I can vouch for loose glove-tips getting caught in stuff. It's annoying.

On a positive note, I use my spray bottle of water (w/ cider vinegar) to spritz my fingers un-sticky now and then. Same bottle I use to spray the bees (along with smoke), and I just grab it and use it when my gloves get sticky. It helps a LOT.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:33:53 am »
My bees are REALLY hot, so I use the heavy duty beek gloves with the rubber coating on the hands for the bees, but for general puspose stuff, I always want latex over nitrile. It "moves" with your hands better.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:14 am »
I have used both types, does not matter ( to me ). Does it prevent the girls from stinging or stopping the stinger from penetrating  :? I can't say that it does, however, I have yet to be stung on the hands with the gloves on, also it keeps the fresh propolis off your hands, too  :-D

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:10:11 pm »
If you use cornstarch on your hands before putting on the nitrile gloves it helps absorb the sweat a little bit.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 09:31:45 pm »
I need way more than cornstarch where I live...  :-P
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:59:46 am »
I need way more than cornstarch where I live...  :-P

Yeh, I image that powder or corn starch might help for a few minutes but with the amount of sweat that comes out of my gloves after an hour is just crazy.  The finger tips sometimes get filled with water. 

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 02:04:04 pm »
I like working without gloves generally.  I just placed into service a pair of the yellow rubber/canvas long gloves to replace my worn out leather beek gloves.  When I need them, like for harvest or on an overcast 68 degree day, I like them better than leather.  Easier to wash off honey and propolis.  Never thought about nitrile tho . . . . interesting.
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

anything