Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Did a cutout yesterday...  (Read 1959 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Did a cutout yesterday...
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:56:41 pm »
While at work yesterday, I received a call from one of our city's Parks and Recreation supervisors. They were trimming tree limbs that overhung a trail and cut into an external hive. The hive was built out in the open and had the shape of a basketball and about the same size. I had absolutely no gear with me whatsoever, but I went anyways. (I was at work myself). Long story short, I waded into what has to be the most gentle bees I have ever seen. I had bees crawling all over my uniform, gunbelt, hair etc, but never took one sting. Park & Rec offered up a large bucket with lid so I began to pick up the pieces that the chain saw had obliterated. I found the queen laying on the ground surrounded by a baseball size entourage and place her in the bucket.(Very dark colored) Shortly thereafter, the marching began. The bees from this feral hive are a variety of colors but very obviously came from natural cell size combs. They are Italian colored, Caucasian, and a few jet black colored bees. I brought them home,transferred the combs to a 5 frame nuc rubber band style and placed a frame feeder in. They had some brood and food stores, so I didnt cage the queen (didnt think they would be to keen on leaving the brood behind). This morning, they were bringing in pollen by the basket full and all seems well. Now if I can just get these girls through the winter.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Did a cutout yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:08:38 pm »
Would have made a great video! Your description of the event is very good but would still love to at least see some pictures. Have any?

Thanks for taking the time and stepping in to give the colony a hand even though you had hardly any resources.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:01:15 pm »
Nope, sorry no pics. I did draw some small level of attention though from people that were walking the trail. The small, feral, jet black bees are awesome to look at. I just hope that this little feral hive survives the winter so I may add them to my genetic gene pool. Ive only found one, lonely looking drone,dark colored too, and just filled their feeder again in between commercial breaks of college football. Still no gear, still no stings. Ill try and post a pic of one of the black beauties later. Truly gorgeous. I keep meaning to put me some collection gear in my patrol car, but always forget about it until I need it. Really wasnt expecting a bee call in September though :)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:00:35 pm »
good job k9, i have some hives that have jet black bees.don't know why they are black,but cool looking.        ......schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:07:55 pm »
Sweet to find an external hive and so tame.    Too bad about no pics.