Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: nuc box question  (Read 3495 times)

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
nuc box question
« on: June 15, 2004, 01:10:48 am »
hey everyone! i know i've been away for a while, but i have a problem.  Yes, i know... it's nearly midnight :roll: !  I built myself a second nuc box, because i'm selling two splits to a fellow who is painting our house.  i have one rearing its queen already for like 10 days, but once i finished this nuc box, i just couldnt wait to get bees in it.  so i did it just now.  by candle light (the flashlight died just as i had the hive opened) :roll: there was no way i could possibly find the queen, so i'll look for her in the nuc box tomorrow.  i figured, there are 20 frames in the hive, and i'm taking 4, and adding a frame of foundation "on the house."  that leaves me a 20% chance of getting the queen in there.  now one of these frames was capped brood. down to 15%.  and another frame is nectar. down to 10%.  we'll see tomorrow how bad my luck really is!  

my question is this: if the queen is in the nuc box, can i return her to the original hive, or will this hive no longer accept her?

thank you all so much!

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
nuc box question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 09:56:11 am »
I appreciate your probabilty calculations, but beekeeping does not follow normal probability.  It is almost certain that the queen will be where you don't want her. :D

If you do find her in the nuc,  there should be no problem putting her back in the mother hive today.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
nuc box question
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 09:07:21 pm »
probability prevailed in the end (this time!) next time i may not be so lucky lol  :roll:

thanks for the quick reply, i will keep your advice in mind if i botch things in the future.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.