Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: packaged bees instulation tbh  (Read 3284 times)

Offline ITstings

• New Bee
packaged bees instulation tbh
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:22:45 pm »
May i ask when installing packaged bees in a hive you let them eat the candy to let the queen out ,but you direct release queen right into tbh. sorry im to new to this to understand.I thought they would kill the queen. i have 5 packaged bees coming in may and don't want to mess up. thank you for the help.

Offline irerob

• House Bee
Re: packaged bees instulation tbh
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:54:21 pm »
  I hung the queen on a top bar near the entrance. It worked but maybe i just got lucky.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 08:42:06 pm »
I direct release in a TBH. They have been with the queen for several days usually if shipped. I also put a couple drops of lemongrass oil on the bottom or sides before shaking in the package.

Bruce
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:43:03 pm »
I would direct release to avoid them building comb off of the cage and then messing up all the rest of the comb  as a result.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ITstings

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:20:11 pm »
I plan on the direct release but was wondering why diff from tbh and regular hive. thanks again for the great advice.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 08:28:41 pm »
BTW I direct release all of mine, TBH or Langstroth.  It's just more important with the TBH or foundationless because if you get them off to a bad start by building comb on the queen cage they will repeat that on every frame.  If you have foundation they will only mess up to combs when they do this, which they almost always do.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything