Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hey Michael...  (Read 3606 times)

Offline ktbearpaws

• House Bee
Hey Michael...
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:13:29 pm »
I built my TBHs by your specs on your KTBH on your website.
I was just wondering.....
"Are there any problems with the bees tieing the comb together with burr comb, without using some kind of spacer to spread out the top bars, with that design?"

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Hey Michael...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:55:40 pm »
I built my TBHs by your specs on your KTBH on your website.
I was just wondering.....
"Are there any problems with the bees tieing the comb together with burr comb, without using some kind of spacer to spread out the top bars, with that design?"
TBH require a bit more maintenance because of that issue. It is not so much a problem when they connect to the edge boards. but when they connect to the frame in front. You can always take a knife or your prybar and cut the comb connected to the boards. You will have a bit more fun when it is connected to the frame in front. You can push your knife or prybar down in between but you need to be careful so you don't kill bees and so that you don' just break the comb in a bad way.

You will eventually break the comb piece in a bad way. It happens. Cut the comb if you need to and remove the bad piece the bees will rebuild.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:28:34 pm »
Are there any problems with burr comb with plastic foundation?  Of course there are burr comb issues from time to time.  You don't need spacers unless they are already getting off the edge of bar and you want to get them back in the center for the next one.  Just be gentle.  Cut them when you find them.  Straighten them when they get crooked.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:16:09 pm »
While we are pestering Micheal on the TBH  I have a question also,   I use screened bottom boards on all my hives and am wondering if a open bottom (screened)  would be good on a TBH also??   seems to me its a natural plan to leave the bottom open for ventalation..... I was thinking leaving out the 1x6 entirely and screening it.....  any thoughts??

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:45:01 pm »
I don't find a screened bottom board to make much difference on Varroa.  It is helpful for ventilation in a vertical hive.  I don't find it necessary in a horizontal hive.  I have screened some and not some.  I probably won't bother to screen them anymore.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:15:03 pm »
thanks,  I have a feral hive in a stump as I mentioned before.  since they are are already in natural comB I figured I would transfer them into a KTBH  and let them stay on there own cell size......  seemed to me a feral transfer might even be easier in a framless hive.  although they may not want to start straight very well.