Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Very strong hives  (Read 1992 times)

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Very strong hives
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:40:02 pm »
I am quite happy went threw hives most  already have full frame of capped  drone brood and queen cups in northeast pa here.  Majority have two full deeps of bees top and bottom.  Its going to be interesting the next couple weeks trying to watch for queen cells. Wish me luck :) Chris

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
Re: Very strong hives
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:17:01 am »
Good Luck    :-D
Rick

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:54:54 am »
Same here in Iowa.  I suspect it is going to be a busy swarm season.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »
If you have a full frame of drone brood, you could struck a huge blow against all mite kind if you pulled that frame of drones pupating and put them in the freezer overnite!  I assume it was a foundationless frame built out that way.  Unless you are raising queens, they would serve a noble purpose in their sacrifice!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:31:22 pm »
I got a call this afternoon about bees all over some bushes in front of a house today.    No luck.   Bees were all over the place on the bush, but no swarm.   They said they noticed all the bees flying Sunday.    Ya, I missed the swarm.   Then they wanted to know how I was going to catch the couple hundred bees flying around the bush.   

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »
Then they wanted to know how I was going to catch the couple hundred bees flying around the bush.   
Did you take your net  :)

BYW, good luck.  My hives are also packed with bees.  These are the kind of problems I like!

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 10:24:08 am »
Hey Guys dont be so quick to freeze your drone brood.  I actually raise my own queens from my good hives.  My hives that are hygenic guess what i do :)  I check many of the drones for mites if their is no mites and the either roll proves to have a low mite count i leave these drone in the hive to go out and mate my virgin queens  ;)  Chris

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 01:38:08 am »
If you clip the wing from queen, your luck may turn to happiness!
Language barrier NOT included