Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two story Nucs  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Two story Nucs
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:58:28 pm »
I have been reading a bit on people using multi-story nucs.  What is the purpose of this?  If you have a five frame nuc, why put a second 5 frame box on rather than move to an 8 or 10 frame box and keep the one story? 
Brian

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Two story Nucs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:15:31 pm »
I think the narrower and taller box retains heat better for brood rearing.Once these boxes get crowded you have  enough bees to stretch them wider in the other boxes and still maintain the heat.Just my thoughts.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:18:39 pm »
I can winter a 2 story nuc better than a 1 story 10 frame

Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:14:20 am »
I have a few nucs stacked 5 boxes high already. Im doing this just for the fun of it to see if they would out preform 10 frame hives on honey production and so far they are blowing the 10 framers out the water.
Who Dat!!!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:47:39 am »
Fatbeeman says it is just like a tree - he has stacked nucs all over his beeyard.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:21:18 pm »
I did a two-story medium nuc to get a very small Sept. swarm through the winter here in Oklahoma.  I gave them a couple of extra frames of bees/brood from another hive and they came through the winter great.  By April 17 they swarmed!
linda d

anything