Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need an observation hive  (Read 3379 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Need an observation hive
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:06:58 am »
I've looked at the supply mags I have nearby, or found in the piles on my desk. Kelley, Dadant, Mannlake, and Betterbee.

But I can not find a small one frame observation hive which would be used for presentations.

Anybody know who handles such a unit? One deep frame, handles, and easy to install.

I thought I had seen awhile ago, a small "Ulster" type one frame, but not sure from where.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Need an observation hive
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:26:49 am »
brushy mountain sells a 5 frame nuc w/ a queen excluder that seperates a 2nd story single frame inclosed with glass.   Idea is go in to the five frame and find the frame with the queen and move it up above the excluder.   When your do just move her back down.
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Ulster-Observation-Hive/productinfo/U501/

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:50 am »
danno,
Thank you.
Yeah, I seen that one. But wanted a one framer for association members who could simply pull out one frame, carry it to a school for the day, and then put it back in the hive. A 6 frame O.B. just may be more than some want to deal with or carry.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:21:07 am »
I haven't seen a catalog lately, but Brushy Mt. used to have a "Tew hive" which was a one frame observation hive for presentations etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Okytransplant

• New Bee
  • Living the Good Life
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:24 am »
Kelley Bee has the observation hive that you are looking for https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=3336333233343339&grouped=1
Hope this helps.

Stacy
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:27:04 am by Robo »

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »
Rossman has a 2 frame similar to the one BetterBee used to sell.  Kelley's one frame expandanable OH looks good.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 06:28:41 pm »
I am thinking about getting the Dadant observation hive.  One deep, one medium.  Even if I just stick in a blank medium I figure it will give the bees something to do while they are trapped, plus I like having the feeding port in case they are stuck in there for longer than a day (multi-day fair).  Or I could put in a medium that is already being worked on from a super.

A friend of mine and I took my Draper Super Bee 3 deep & 1 shallow frame observation hive to a county dairy breakfast a couple weeks ago.  Transport went pretty well, and few escapees in the house,  but the thing is awfully heavy and clumsy to move and I would prefer not to do it again . . . although it was an invaluable teaching aid and focal point for our display.

I had to borrow a van to transport because it is so tall it wouldn't fit in the back of my cab of the Ford Ranger.