Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Icons redistributed  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Icons redistributed
« on: December 17, 2006, 11:49:38 am »
OK, so I see that there may be computer techs out there that might have help that they are willing to assist us forum members with.  I have been awaiting my brother for help, but I think that his life has gotten a little too busy to get on-line and help his poor big sister.

We have had several power failures in our neighbourhood over the past month.  I have a laptop computer and a regular desk one.  My laptop is great.  My desk one is poor. (LOL).

This is what happened.  On my desk computer I have all my icons on my desktop fashioned in large font, arranged nicely on the desktop.  About 2 weeks ago, after a power failure, windows decided that all my icons should not be in the large font.  They are in a tiny little font that is horrible to try and see, all of the icons arranged on the left side of the screen, I guess as windows likes to have them.  I don't like them like that, nor do I like the small font.  I have no clue how to fix this.  Tried to do a system restore to an earlier date that I thought would make it as I originally had the desktop looking.  No such luck. 

Any easy fixes on this?  It bugs me and I want to do stuff on that computer, but I can't stand to work with the tiny little type.  Oh, ya, also, around the screen there is a black line on all four sides, everything seems to have shrunk, including the window itself.  Help would be appreciated.  I am not overly computer oriented, so be basic.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Icons redistributed
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 11:59:03 am »
If you right click on the background you'll get a menu.  One of the choices is "properties".  Click on Properties.  Click on the "Appearance" tab.  One of your choices will be "font size".  Click on the right of that to drop down the list and pick large or extra large (depending on your preference).  This will change the font.  If the problem is the size of the icons and everything else, you can pick a smaller screen size which will increase the size of the items on the screen.  To do this click on the "settings" tab and adjust the resolution to a smaller number (move the slider to the left).  It will give you a chance to preview it and choose to accept it or cancel it.  Unless you have a huge monitor or very good eyesight you probably don't want to go higher than 1024 x 768.  The smaller the numbers the larger the items on the screen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 06:10:07 pm »
Cindi:

Also try holding down the Control Key and ROLL your center mouse wheel TOWARD YOU to increase everything on the screen if you don't want to mess with the resolution. I find that sometimes I inadvertantly do the opposite and my images and text shrink for no apparent reasons, a quick cntrl and scroll toward you will fixer up most the time (unless you have changed the default of your mouse previously)

P.S. enjoying your writings, I'm busy back-dating some thoughts into words and will have most of December Blogged in soon :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 10:17:38 am »
If the resolution for everything else is OK, and you just want to change the icon and icon font size, do the following:

1. Right Click Desktop + Choose “Properties”
2. In the Properties Window click on the “Appearance Tab” at the top.
3. In the Appearance Window click on the button called “Advanced”
4. In the Advanced Appearance Window choose “Item:” from the drop down list and choose “Icon” and you can choose desired Icon size.

To be able to drag and drop the icons to wherever you want them on the desktop.
1. Right Click Desktop + Choose “Arrange Icon By”
2. Make sure "Auto Arrange" is NOT checked

Then you can place each icon where you want them on the desktop.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 10:38:26 am »
Nope, my other computer is getting worse by the minute.  My husband did all kinds of testing on it because I tried things that were suggested here and it got worse in some ways.  Now, there were no trojans, viruses, worms, nothing, he even did the refragment, (which took about 3 hours).  Tried to fix it all up.  He is going to work on it some more today. 

the biggest problem now is that when I went to change the size of the screen, my desktop picture that I love to look at every day is gone.  So he is working on that issue too.  I think that when the power went out the last time, it must have messed something up beyond what can be helped.  I don't know.  But thanks for all the  help.   I will know later on today if this is an issue for Microsoft.  Great day. Thanks.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 10:48:51 am »
Sounds like your enjoying one of the free unadvertized "features" of windoze.  How unfortunate for us Linux users that we don't get these features :-P
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 10:52:05 am »
Ha, ha, ha, rah,rah, rah.  Ya, that windows can be a hummdinger for sure.  But, WYSIWYG.  I have to stick with the programs for now.  Great day Robo!!  Thanks for you help, still thinking about the note stuff and PDF.  Cindi

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 08:17:06 pm »
"forget the prime directive, give the Borg Windows" Jean Luc Picard
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:55:41 pm »
Star Trek from the get go so many years ago, has always been one of my favourite of all shows.  The computer is fixed and up and running as good as it ever was, good.  Just some crazy little things occurred, should have given it to the Borg.  Great day. Cindi

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 11:38:55 pm »
the biggest problem now is that when I went to change the size of the screen, my desktop picture that I love to look at every day is gone.  So he is working on that issue too.  I think that when the power went out the last time, it must have messed something up beyond what can be helped.  I don't know.  But thanks for all the  help.   I will know later on today if this is an issue for Microsoft.  Great day. Thanks.  Cindi.

I think if you click on start then move the mouse up to settings, select control panel, then select display you will find what you want. A widow will open where you can select desktop to select your screen display or picture then after that click on settings to adjust the size of the desktop print and icon size.

Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 11:46:58 pm »
Romahawk, thanks got it fixed to as it was.  Great day. Cindi

anything