Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Total max hive weight  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Variable

• House Bee
    • Two Little Ladies Apiary Hive Data
Total max hive weight
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »
Quick question for you fine beeks. I am wondering (I know it will vary based on where you are) what is the MAX weight of a hive? This is total weight, boxes, frames, bees, stores, etc... I have seen on Michael Bush's site what each box could weigh but I was wondering if anyone has info on the total weight of a hive. Again this is the max weight.

I am looking at getting a scale to weigh the hives but do not want to get one that will not work (maxed out). The scale I am looking at has a 400Lbs (181Kg) limit and want to make sure that that is enough.
So what is the heaviest hive you have ever had or seen.
Thanks all!!
I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
8 medium hives. 5 Langstroth, 3 Nuc
See hive data at
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/6
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Total max hive weight
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »
I once had some monsters in exceptional forage fill six deep supers sitting on top of two brood boxes.  If you figure a conservative 70 pound average that is 560 pounds.  350 would not be uncommon with good colonies on good forage.  That being said, mine averaged less than half that lower number the last two years. 

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:05:49 pm »
I have seen some pretty tall stacks that can easily top 400 pounds. I think the more important issue is if they can get that tall in your region. Finally, once you get over 400 lbs for scales, the price for scales starts rising pretty quickly.

I think the scale will be fine - after all, you're the one that is adding the boxes and once the hive starts getting tall, you can just pull the scale. Hive weight is really important for going into winter and by then the hives are usually under 200 lbs.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:18:15 pm »
5 or 6 mediums stacked on a double deep used to be the standard down this way.  i made bees and comb instead of honey last year so i'm not sure what things are like these days.  i would hope that 400 pounds wasn't enough.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 03:57:59 pm »
I am probably kicking a dead horse, that has been discussed years ago.  I have just started weighing my hives, and was wondering what I could expect.  This old post answers some of my questions, as to what a hive should weigh in my climate.  BUT there were mentions of scales that are expensive.  I paid $35 for my scale that is very good and accurate.  Since there has been considerable improvement in load cell type scales both in price and quality this was what I bought.  I use a Dolly with an arm that reaches over the hive then just strap it and lift the hive.  There any number of ways to lift it.  I use a cheap hand winch and the bees never know  they have been weighed.  The last time I used the scale was to weigh a hog that had been rooting around the hives, my daughter killed it and it weighed 288.8 pounds.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 05:39:28 pm »
1.  What is the weight of a super 7inch with capped honey all 10 frames?  Thank you in advance for reply.

2.  I figure a capped deep frame at 15 pounds, you agree?  I have not weighted so I am guessing and would like to know for fact.

3.  Also, I figure 3,500 cells to a single side deep frame, total 7,000 cells fit a deep frame.  Agreed?

4.  Also I figure 1,000 {rough average} bees to cover a single side of a deep frame.  Agreed?
Blessings

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 06:11:54 pm »
Quick question for you fine beeks. I am wondering (I know it will vary based on where you are) what is the MAX weight of a hive? This is total weight, boxes, frames, bees, stores, etc... I have seen on Michael Bush's site what each box could weigh but I was wondering if anyone has info on the total weight of a hive. Again this is the max weight.

I am looking at getting a scale to weigh the hives but do not want to get one that will not work (maxed out). The scale I am looking at has a 400Lbs (181Kg) limit and want to make sure that that is enough.
So what is the heaviest hive you have ever had or seen.
Thanks all!!

What type of hive are you working with, Langstroth, national, other?  What size; 8 frame, 10 frame, deeps, mediums, shallows?

Also, what are you trying to weigh and why? 
  A) a single deep or double deep hive getting ready for winter
  B) a hive mid summer with stacked supers; how high are you going to stack them

What is amazing is when you think a box and frames are full, just how much MORE the bees can pack into it.  That said, if you generally keep clean equipment meaning limiting amount of wild comb and burr comb you should experience numbers near these as MAX practical numbers for the Langstroth 10 frame hive:

A single deep hive full of wall to wall bees with covers and bottom board and completely packed out frames in it:   46 kg, 100 pounds

A double deep hive full of wall to wall bees with covers and bottom board and completely packed out 20 frames in it:  86 kg, 190 pounds

Then start stacking honey supers: and add to those base numbers.
Deep super, full:  38 kg, 84 lbs PER deep super.

For example, if your hive is booming mid summer 5 deeps and you have not been an attentive beekeeper and have let them pack it out.  If they didn't swarm on you then that hive can be:   190 + 84 + 84 + 84 = 442 pounds. (200kg)

These are real numbers you can and will see.  These numbers come from weighing full boxes as well as weighing individual hive parts and full fat capped frames of honey, comparing those, and holding the thumb up to the light and tongue just right. However, like I said opening.  If left untended for a long time it is amazing how much MORE the bees will pack into cracks and crevice spaces you did not realize was within the box.

What capacity of scale do you need to get?  Depends on what your are wanting it to do.  *** The capacity rating of the scale to select is your maximum expected load +50%.. So look at the hive configuration you are trying to setup to weigh, look at the weights given here, do some math, multiply the answer by 1.5x and that is the size of scale that you need.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:17:59 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 02:15:27 pm »
I've seem two bathroom scales used. Just put a plank across the two scales and stack the hive on it then add both weights together. Pretty simple and a lot cheaper than using one larger scale.
  Would think that three bathroom scales would work better with the hive sitting directly on the scales. Just have one on either side and the third supporting the front or rear.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 03:27:09 pm »
At my age I try to lift as little as possible, yes I have used Bathroom scales, and even cotton scales.  But that was in my long ago past.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 08:47:52 am »
What capacity of scale do you need to get?  Depends on what your are wanting it to do.

I agree 100% with this statement but don't hold the same conclusion.
How important is it to know the weight of a hive that is over 400 pounds.  The larger scale you use the more expensive and the less precise.  If your hive starts nearing the scale's max then just pull off boxes and weigh them independently.  I see no need to own a scale over 400 pounds to weigh one hive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything