Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tell me why I should not use the can of Raid in my hand!!!!  (Read 5755 times)

bigbearomaha

Re: Tell me why I should not use the can of Raid in my hand!!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 08:06:38 pm »
"WE" meaning other beekeepers are here to assist other beekeepers to become better beekeepers.

We are? dang, and   I was just hanging around the peanut and popcorn aisle and tiffing around in the coffee house.

Figures  I would be in the  wrong aisle.

Big Bear

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 08:10:56 pm »
i have been mad enough at both animals and family members to want to shoot them.  i understand the momentary reaction.  + it can be kind of scary when you are being attacked by something, even if it's something you care about.

he'll figure it out and hopefully someone close can help.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 08:32:20 pm »
I understand Papermans frustration.  Its infuriating when innocent family members get nailed.  I felt really small standing there as my 4 year old granddaughter screamed and cried after a bee nailed her on the back porch, its over 100 yards from the yard.  I had been popped a couple of times earlier in the week mowing.  As soon as they left I was suited up going through 30 hives figuring out which ones were hot and why, I even relocated 3 that very evening and if pissy bees had persisted I would have relocated the whole lot of them.  If you keep having trouble you might want to move them untill you learn how to identify and manage them for gentelness in relation to your home. 
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 09:55:00 pm »
Like Kathyp said it can be just that time of year. I believe I posted something about my hives last year being so hot I could not stand them. During the summer they mellowed out and now they are back at it. I can still mow but every now and again Ill get bumped, not stung, all the way to the shed or the house. If I hide in the shed she will stay just outside waiting for me. I just run as fast as I can and wait for the darkness of night to regroup. I know there are several post where people are complaining about their docile hive being a "hot" hive. Also requeen is a good idea if you know which hive it is to requeen.  I have not requeened due to a hot hive just because a queen has died so no experience there, sorry.

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 10:15:56 pm »
are you sure there the  girls and not yellow jackets or hornets ,wasp ..  as here the jackets are bad , and a lot of bald faces  ..   

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 03:44:14 am »
Here's the thing I read about the initial post..
Paperman is a newbee...like me. First year beekeepers.
Optimistic at best is to get your bees thru winter.

Did you count how many hives he has in his post? I counted 8.

I have one...me and my husband have one.
And that has..looking for the right word here and not really the quite word has exasperated us to our core...because the word exasperated defined is: "To make very angry or impatient; annoy greatly." in the definition has only been towards each other and not the bees.

Clearly..it's like everything else...if you do not practice you will never succeed.

I admire the zeal and zest of Paperman in his initial intentions to keep bees.

Might be a tad over his head...as would I be this early in my education.

Please someone help the poor fella out!

Warm wishes for everyone.

Sarita

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 09:05:26 am »
paperman
Have you considered moving your bee's to maybe a quiet corner of your dads property?   I have one of those hive moving pipe setups that Dadant sells hanging in my shed.  Takes 2 people and the hives should be stapled together or strapped well

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 07:29:24 pm »
Paperman--I know it has only been 2 days, but have you gotten any help or figured out what is going on yet?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Paperman

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 01:24:24 pm »
I went through them and found great stores and signs of queen in both.  They seem normal now but the weather is cool so they may be slowing down.  I have thought of moving them but most of the enjoyment of having them is being able to watch them grow and evolve.  I have the other hives away form home but kept two here to see what is going on and get a feel for how they behave.  Apparently they are a bit like us and have bad moment when they just get mad.  Glad this board was here to vent a bit with.  On a good note I did collect 12 gallons off these two after starting with single boxes this spring.  I hope they make the winter OK.  Lots of stores so it should go well.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 02:06:32 pm »
I think I could put up with a LOT of stings for 12 gallons of honey! I probably had 35 or more last year (gloveless for most of the season) and only got about 1 gallon total. Best wishes, Paperman!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 03:29:37 pm »
60#s per hive  is a normal year but would have been alot better if we hadn't got that gusher of a rain one week into thistle.  My colonies averaged 80#s out of the 25 hives.   I'm sure they would have done 100 to 120 if the sun would have stayed out for another week or 2 of thistle.    
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:34:30 am by danno »

Offline Paperman

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 01:42:38 pm »
I think I could put up with a LOT of stings for 12 gallons of honey!

I could and will put up with bunches of stings if they have reason.  My aggravation comes from the "out of the blue let me zip you in the head and while I am at it Ill slip one in your son"  I chalk this year up to me learning to live with them, next year may be different.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 02:18:22 pm »
I've been at that moment too....like when I was watching some bees rob out a wet super (away from the hive) and did something minor with it and then all of a sudden a couple of them started stinging my 3 year old son's face (who was standing nearby watching with me) for no apparent reason (no reason for defense!!)....ggrrrrrr....if it had happened again after that I wouldn't be a beekeeper.  I'm too cheap to Raid them but would have found a buyer pretty quickly....

It is all very quiet now a few years later and the bees are more docile than ever.  I know what not to do when.
Rick

anything