Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tennessee Ag Enhancement Program for Honey bees  (Read 2274 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Tennessee Ag Enhancement Program for Honey bees
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:36:06 am »
Ok Kathy, hit me with it, both fists, eye gouging acceptable, name calling allowed and no 10 second standing counts. I'm seriously contemplating taking advantage of this program, pending it isnt cut next year, to expand my operation significantly. I know that it's funded by hard earned tax dollars but it is at least a program that I can go along with (selfishly speaking of course)

http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/enhancement/2011PDCriteria/PDFY1112HoneyBeeCriteria.pdf

Is there anything that I should feel guilty of if I do decide to take this on? Because as of right now, I do not. I worked the housing project for the first 7 years of my career and saw countless times the wasteful spending and flagrant abuse of the welfare systems. Is there any reasons, morally or legally, that I shouldn't do it?

Yes, I would love to be able to finance my entire operation based solely off of the paycheck that I receive via my day job and I do not want to be included in the 99% crowd either. However, as everyone knows, times are hard. We have not received a raise in 6 years although our health insurance has increased every year since.

This would just afford me the opportunity to expand at a faster rate.

So, hit me with it, no holds barred.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:20:23 pm by VolunteerK9 »

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
Re: Tennessee Ag Enhancement Program for Honey bees
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 01:04:18 pm »
Do you really want them in your back pocket? Would they mind their own business or would you have to answer to them for everything you do with your bees? Those are the questions I would ask myself before jumping on this program.

I had to register with the MN Dept Ag to sell eggs from my hobby farm but it was free and no compensation to me and the only requrements I have to abide by are candling them and putting my name and address on the egg cartons so that was acceptable to me. But I probably would not have done it if they "owned" my soul. Or if it would of taken up a lot of my time with record keeping etc.

Just something for you to think about.

Lori

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:31:21 pm »
I'm not sure that anybody would have a problem with a state-run, fully funded project that is well designed to minimize fraud and abuse, which has a specific goal to improve peoples' lives without a free handout.

It looks like a program to encourage people to take responsibility, and if participate you still have more to lose than they do if you aren't responsible with your stuff.  It doesn't give you anything for free, and you still need to take care of your hives.

I don't know if it is all that, but if you qualify, then I don't see a problem with it. 

I don't know how invasive they are as far as management style, but that might concern me.

But if they provide free clean needles for injecting bovine vaccines for the livestock part of it, then would say NO WAY!... :evil:
Rick

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:59:00 pm »
As far as I know, Tn Dept of Ag only has 2 people assigned for Apiaries. One is the State's Apiarist and then other is the Inspector. Ive only met the inspector, Mike Studer, a couple of times, and he was an easy enough guy to get a long with. I don't really think they have the resources or time to be in your hip pocket outside an inspection every now and then but they will show up if you ask them to.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 05:03:02 pm »
Do you have the three years of experience that the program requires?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:19:36 pm »
The hard part will be getting into the beekeepers class, took me a year and a half to get my name on the list and I was hounding Dr. Skinner. The class is not really very hard or in depth at all, at best it is just a beginners type of class and covers the most basic of things. Mike Studer is a super nice guy, lives over in Maryville, and has to cover the whole state of TN. I just took the inspectors class to be able to inspect others bees before they are sold, or are being moved through the state, there are several of us scattered all over the state, mainly looking for AFB. This is a minimum pay position.

Anyway......back to your question...........I think it is very acceptable to do this, if you work your hives as you should it is not a hand out. I almost did it last year for 100 hives but talked myself out of it, knowing there was no way I could take care of them by myself.

I say go for it, start trying to get into the class though, that is the tough part.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:46:11 pm »
Do you have the three years of experience that the program requires?

I will meet that requirement next year.

I say go for it, start trying to get into the class though, that is the tough part.

Yup, tell me about it. Ive tried to get in the class since last year. I think the Apiary Division is probably stretched to its limits with all the budget cuts and these guys are doing the best with what they have.

I would be interested in the Inspection aspect of it too. Would you care to have a shadow with you some next year? I dont eat much and come with my own spit cup)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:56:58 pm by VolunteerK9 »

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:57:52 pm »
Call Dr. Skinners office and let them know you are wanting to take the class, are willing to send in your money for it and see if they will put you on the list. He actually opened a class because there were so many wanting to take it, but said he would not make a list anymore with out payment first, had many that backed out. The class he opened up for us there were supposed to be 40 people and only about 20 showed up, needless to say he was a little upset.

I was hoping he would pursue this a little harder and have some really in depth classes and better yet queen rearing classes.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 10:00:03 pm »
oh.....one other thing..........I would not worry too much of them interfering with your operation, they have better things to go and disrupt.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 12:09:17 am »
This is something for me to think about...
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.