Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: newbie question - frame spacing in hivequestion - frame spacing in hive  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Tomc938

• New Bee
I am getting ready for my first season of keeping bees.  I've been busy building hive bodies, etc.  The last couple of days I have been assembling frames and getting the other little bits ready to go. 

When I put the frames in the hive I think the bodies I built (from plans in a book) are too wide.  With the frames pushed together, there is 1/2" between the inside of the hive body and the widest part of the frame.  I know you need space to move frames to work in a hive, but this looks like a little too much.  How much space should you have?  I will attach a picture, but I'm not sure if it will be attached to the message or somewhere else on the board.

Also, how much free-play do you want on the ends of the frames? Mine seem a bit tight.

Thanks for the help!

Tom

Offline Tomc938

• New Bee
Please ignore this post - as I was wandering around on the board I found a thread that ended up answering my question!

If I could have just deleted the post I would have.

Have a great spring!

Tom

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Hey Tom, No need to apologize. It's good that you're trying to do it right. Just a bit of advice - don't over complicate it. I can say that to you because I'm so guilty of the same thing. Hang in there, keeping bees is such a good past time.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
A 1/2" gap total in the box is pretty good. Slide them so that there is a 1/4" gap on both sides. That will allow you to remove the first/end frame without rolling bees and then you leave it out and inspect the rest of the frames. Bees will be happier.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
You found the answer to your question....... so you now know when they draw the frames the space will be gone  :wink:

If you want to delete a post in the future before anyone responds...just go to modify and remove the text and type in deleted... I actually had to look because I thought attachments and other options at the bottom had a delete option...
John 3:16