Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First spring inspection  (Read 2472 times)

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
First spring inspection
« on: March 07, 2009, 04:41:39 pm »
 :-D

Only spent maybe 3-5mins on each hive and I only went two deep, (didn't remove the middle box from the bottom box) so I couldn't tell much. The honey looks really dark... I remember my mentors honey being very light colored so I wonder what kind mine is...it taste great.

I'm excited to start trying to harvest some, maybe using the crush and strain. Since its spring now - do they need all this honey or can I take a few frames? There seems to be good buildup on one outside edge for each hive..but then they only focus on the 1/4 and up nothing really in the other 3/4 and there are maybe 4-5 frames in the mid and top boxes each, that havn't been touched.

Anyway I'm so happy they made it out of winter - and now I can go watch them again!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: First spring inspection
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:03:08 pm »
SystemShark.  Beautiful, such a good feeling when there is success of the overwintering.  I speak for my neck of the woods.  I do not understand your weather, seasons, flows, etc., someone will chime in that is in your area as far as flows go, and the ability of the bees to get outside to gather nectar/pollens.  If it were me, I would not take any honey from the colonies at this point in the year.  We have yet quite a bit of time before the bees are built up enough to obtain copious amounts of food stores.  We witness spring starve outs here.  I know I almost lost a colony in June because of a late season here.  My advice, leave the honey (take a little bit for yourself though, smiling, you deserve that), it will only do good for the bees.  Others will hopefully chime in, good luck, and have that most wonderfully awesome and great day, health, love our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
Re: First spring inspection
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 10:57:46 pm »
thanks very much for the response =) I'll just leave it then, I've waited this long so no hurry.