Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to expect with a new package?  (Read 4106 times)

Offline ruth

• New Bee
What to expect with a new package?
« on: May 07, 2010, 02:11:36 pm »
I have a question about what I should expect to see with a new package which I just installed.  The package was installed last week, and the queen-cage plugged with marshmallows as instructed.  We were told to check 3 days later to see if the queen had been released - she had been - the cage was empty and not a trace of marshmallow.  I removed the cage (no queen inside!), quickly closed up the hive again (also as per instructions) and have been keeping a watch on it from the outside each day.  The bees are going in and out, some with pollen, others I assume with nectar.  Activity seems to be normal.

Today (8 days after installation) I opened the hive to check.  The bees have built comb, mostly on the few frames near where the queen cage was - they have also drawn out the comb on several other frames - I do see what looks like pollen and nectar in some cells, but I could not see the queen (she is marked, but there were so many bees on the frames, and I didn't want to disturb them too much).  I looked on several frames but saw neither the queen nor any eggs in cells. 

What should I expect to see?  How easy is it to spot eggs?  How soon would she have started laying?  Is this too soon to expect anything?

I had assumed that because the activity of the other bees continues to be normal, the queen must be okay - is this a reasonable assumption?  Since this is a new package the bees have no option of raising a queen themselves since there would not have been any fertilized eggs - so do I just leave them, and hope for the best?!
"They alone hold children in common: own the roofs of their city as one: and pass their life under the might of the law. They alone know a country, and a settled home, and in summer, remembering the winter to come, undergo labour, storing their gains for all."
Virgil, Georgics IV, 154-157

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: What to expect with a new package?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 03:03:04 pm »
Hived on day 1. Released by day 3. Eggs should be present by day 7. Larva by day 10. Larva easily seen by day 15. I would give them another week, then check for larva.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ruth

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 03:14:23 pm »
Thanks!

Did I make a mistake by checking today?  Will I have caused any problems for the hive by opening too soon?

Bees seem to be very busy around the hive right now - although they are still bringing in pollen, there seem to be more than usual around the entrance - is that just because I disturbed them?
"They alone hold children in common: own the roofs of their city as one: and pass their life under the might of the law. They alone know a country, and a settled home, and in summer, remembering the winter to come, undergo labour, storing their gains for all."

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 03:20:30 pm »
also caged queens may not start laying immediately after being released.  I had one take fourteen days before laying a single egg once.  Hopefully yours won't take that long though.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:37:10 pm »
Thanks!

Did I make a mistake by checking today?  Will I have caused any problems for the hive by opening too soon?

Bees seem to be very busy around the hive right now - although they are still bringing in pollen, there seem to be more than usual around the entrance - is that just because I disturbed them?
You did just fine :) I opened mine 2 days later to check on queen release, and they were back to business within minutes. My guess is that if you went in every 2 days for weeks on end, they might start rethinking the hive as a good spot to live, but once should be fine.

There are probably more bees around the entrance because there is more pollen and/or nectar for them to be bringing in and they are settled in their now home, now out foraging.

As for eggs, I think they're fairly easy to see. Follow this link to page 2 for a pretty good photo: http://www.countryrubes.com/images/The_Life_Cycle_of_a_Bee_updated_9_09.pdf

Good luck!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:59:40 pm »
One check the first week, one check the second week. That is the normal protocol. You did fine.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 10:48:48 am »
As far as seeing eggs:
BrianDbray says it can be like looking at a grain of rice at the bottom of a trash can.
They are hard to see sometimes,especially if the new wax is real white.

Offline SurprisingWoman

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:18:19 pm »
luvin honey, that is an awesome link.  Thanks so much for that.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 12:22:41 pm »
You are very welcome :)
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 06:21:47 pm »
As for eggs, I think they're fairly easy to see.

Ya if you got good eye's it takes me Eye glass and magnifying glass :roll:
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 04:23:47 pm »
As for eggs, I think they're fairly easy to see.

Ya if you got good eye's it takes me Eye glass and magnifying glass :roll:
I guess I am betraying my youth :) Or excessive vitamin K consumption :D

Maybe I should rephrase. It's not easy as in as easy as seeing the bees. But once you see the eggs, you know it and are never left wondering again whether you are seeing eggs or not. Holding the comb at an angle so that the sunlight can directly shine in over your shoulder is very helpful.
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline ruth

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 05:22:58 pm »
Thank you everyone!

Now just waiting for some decent weather this week for the second-week check!

Offline ruth

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 09:17:59 pm »
Happy to report that I inspected my new colony today - and saw the queen (thank goodness we had her marked!).  She is alive and well.  Did not see any eggs (really hard to see eggs against new white beeswax) but did see young larvae - so the queen is obviously laying.  I guess I could have spent more time looking for eegs - but was really nervous about disturbing the colony for too long - so took the combination of queen and larvae as a great sign.  Closed everything up, replaced sugar syrup, and feeling very relieved and happy!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and supportive information.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 01:38:47 am »
That's wonderful, ruth!
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson