Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter prep.  (Read 3154 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Winter prep.
« on: December 19, 2011, 03:03:06 pm »
So what is everyone doing here in the off time?
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Re: Winter prep.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:29:16 pm »
trying to feed the kids lol.   Good ol uncle same loves us working folks

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:14:21 pm »
Building, painting, repairing stuff.  Trying to plan. Trying to figure out where my extractor went (Did I loan it to someone and forgot?  Really?)  It was in the high 40's today, the girls were out taking a potty break and hauling out the trash.  Reading a delightful little book called "The Bad Beekeepers Club".

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:18:49 pm »
pruning 1600 apple trees, my arms are hurting already and I only have 50 done!

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:16:22 pm »
pruning 1600 apple trees, my arms are hurting already and I only have 50 done!
If I lived closer I'd help you. :shock:

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:47:28 pm »
Taking a rest. Will build some equipment after the New Year. Need to make some wine first. Freezer to full!

John

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:37:53 am »
still finishing the new workshop. built a few frame assembly jigs & frame wiring jigs for customers. hauled 3 heaping loads of horse poop for the garden. & lastly-we have our hands full now.........dealing with & training a new addition. we just got a 5 month old redbone coon hound. W.T.H. was i thinking..........

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 05:10:35 pm »
still finishing the new workshop. built a few frame assembly jigs & frame wiring jigs for customers. hauled 3 heaping loads of horse poop for the garden. & lastly-we have our hands full now.........dealing with & training a new addition. we just got a 5 month old redbone coon hound. W.T.H. was i thinking..........
Do you coon hunt?

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 07:28:51 pm »
it's been a long time since i have hunted coon but if this pup will hunt i might just think about it. he's from proven hunting stock & is very bright. i'm leaning towards feral pigs though. i think he'll soon have an odor about him cuz' my wife will have him spoiled ROTTEN.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 07:32:37 pm »
it's been a long time since i have hunted coon but if this pup will hunt i might just think about it. he's from proven hunting stock & is very bright. i'm leaning towards feral pigs though. i think he'll soon have an odor about him cuz' my wife will have him spoiled ROTTEN.
I used o coon hunt years ago with redbones. lately I have been hunting Feist squirrel dogs. They are neat little dogs. Easy to spoil also.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:48:15 pm »
Making swarm traps and supers. Only a couple more months until we put them out. Cant Wait!!!
Who Dat!!!

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 07:32:32 am »
Lot's of projects to keep me buzy at home, but brewing up enough beer for the year is a priority (too buzy/hot during summer), that and regular ventures to pull up some fish through the ice 8-) (also too buzy to fish during summer, and cold caught are just better tastin' IMO).

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 08:45:54 pm »
I haven't got thru Christmas and company prep let alone beekeeping prep.  I need to build equipment to house the queens I already have ordered for splits.  I have to order some nucs in case I don;t winter well enough to make splits and I can split the nucs.  Not good practice but the five frame nucs I order come strong enough to split!  If I order the nucs and I winter well and make the splits, I am really behind on building equipment.  I also need to get out and tie down some new locations.  I also want to try my hand at queen rearing just for the fun of it and have some serious studying to do.  Good fun problems to think about every one!  Merry Christmas all!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 06:55:26 pm »
Several projects going on. Every day is different. Without writing a book, Yesterday I was setting up a pollinators program at Hershey Park's Zoo America for the Pa. Backyard Beekeepers Association and PennApic. Spent most of the morning (with friend Bill Fisher) yesterday doing site layout and preparations to build a new building dedicated to honey bees and native pollinators. This will be a pretty involved project, with an outreach program connecting with over half million visitors.

So many cookie jars to taste from, so little time to get to them all.

Hope to get the tree up before Sunday!
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 11:27:40 am »
Lot's of projects to keep me buzy at home, but brewing up enough beer for the year is a priority (too buzy/hot during summer), that and regular ventures to pull up some fish through the ice 8-) (also too buzy to fish during summer, and cold caught are just better tastin' IMO).

We have a shameful lack of ice to pull fish thru here!  Hoping for the same/brewing mead not beer

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 11:47:57 am »
Yeah its true, can't drive the truck on any ice yet :'( due the warmer than average temps, so must haul the equipment on sled, oh well. 

Many of our bigger bodies of water are still open in the middle, but the edges have been safe for weeks now 8-)

thomas.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."