Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees on out side of hive at night  (Read 2826 times)

Offline pondman

• House Bee
Bees on out side of hive at night
« on: July 16, 2005, 11:19:03 pm »
For the last three nights I have seen alot of honey bees on the outside of my number 1 hive. Hive # 2&3 have about 10 bees on the outside but they go in after awhile. But # 1 hive seem to stay like that for all night some of the bee go in but there still seem to be alot on the outside even after some of them go in....Is it getting to hot in the hive an if so what can I do to make this right for them. Thank you for looking at my post.
James Shoemaker
Mathias West Virginia

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 12:48:01 am »
Yes, it's due to the heat (assuming they DO have room in the hive).  You can use shims to prop up either the inner cover, or if you have supers on, prop between the top brood box and first super.  Even 1 beespace will help create an airflow situation that will help cool the inside of the hive.

I have the exact same situation with one of my hives, the girls are always in by morning, but I've got out at 10:30 - 11pm and looked with a flashlight - they're still hanging out (yes, I'm a little obsessed with my bees).  :wink:  In my case though, that hive is forced into a very crowded situation due to working Ross Round supers, the other hives have a little 'bearding' in the evening, but nowhere near as bad as the one hive.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 11:31:23 am »
Make sure they have plenty of room and plenty of ventilation (top and bottom) and then relax and don't worry about it.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 01:21:52 pm »
I've seen several people, like Sherry, suggest proping open between the brood nest and supers. Some folks say slide 1 box forward a bit. Wouldn't this let rain in? Is that a big problem in warm weather or can they cope with it ok??

Dave

Offline stilllearning

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 02:31:32 pm »
the more rain water you keep out the better it is for the bees,
yes they can cope with it if necessary
look at some feral hives located in a tree they cope with it
in a box hive rain would most likely just run down the side and out the bottom entrance if slightly tilted or out a slatted bottom board
Wayne Cole

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 12:49:19 am »
Here's a pic of the shim set-up I was talking about.  Works like a charm...

...no more bearding.

sherry

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 08:41:39 am »
I used to have a lot of bearding until I installed screened bottom boards and cracked the outer cover open with small sticks.  Nothing at all now. As a matter of fact, there are times I wonder if the bees are even in there, but they are.  The SBBs were well worth the investment.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')