Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do.  (Read 3441 times)

Offline daven8er

• New Bee
What to do.
« on: April 13, 2012, 06:57:30 pm »
People want bees removed from their houses but will not pay to to have the hive removed. So what do you do about the bees? Do you allow the home owner to kill the bees or do you do it for free in hopes you cover the cost of time and woodenware by selling honey? I hate to think of all the bees killed by people who just want them gone.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: What to do.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:46:21 pm »
I charge for removals, but like to make a site visit first. That way You can size up the job and the people you will be working for. The reasons I walk...........because of the peoples attitude or they do not want to pay. I really take my tie and try to explain things and what will happen it they squirt poison on them. I will adjust my price for certain folks who are on hard times or the job is super easy and does not require much time involved. Older folks who can not afford this service is given a freebie, no questions asked. Most times you will find that when they call, some have already sprayed with poison and are wanting you to clean up their mess..........."You spray, I stay away"...........let them finish the job. I don't want sick, dying, dead bees in my equipment. that is not to say I have never removed sprayed bees either, they just pay more.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:45:30 pm »
i explain to people what happens if they kill the bees in the wall and don't get the hive stuff out.  then i let them make up their own minds.  there's a difference between people who can't pay, and people who won't pay.  i do stuff for free when i think i can help someone out.  when i get calls from folks who start off looking for something free,  i usually pass. chances are, i'm not the first person they have talked to and they already have been quoted prices.

i do free stuff for farmers and older folks.  mostly outbuildings.  sometimes i get fed.  sometimes they offer me money.   :-D

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:20:58 am »
If you need or want the bees and its worth it to you or makes you feel good to perform removals for free that is a decision only you can make. There are many easier ways to get bees. I commend you on being of kind heart but you don't want to sell yourself short either. Removing bees from structures can be very time consuming and hard work. What is your time worth? If you have a lot of time to spare then go for it!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:19:27 am »
Two of the removals I looked at last year were not done as when I mentioned money their attitude changed and I never got a call back, even though I had explained the issue with spraying but not removing the left behind material.

One job we did for an old farmer, I didn't plan on getting paid. He gave me a nice 4 frame stainless extractor he had had sitting around for 20 years. In that building there was another colony that I might go back to remove this year - just because.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:21:32 pm »
I had a call from a guy 3 weeks ago who just moved into a house with a colony by the front door. I explained the cutout process and my rates. I told him I could come and check it out the next day, but the removal would have to wait until mid April because I was having surgery on April 2nd. The developement this guy moved into is pretty exclusive; the cheapest house in there is about $800,000!  He called me back THREE minutes later, and said "never mind, I found someone who can do it sooner". Yeah, right! I told him "good luck with it." When he finds out the Raid or Black Flag didn't work and he calls me back, I am going to tell him a new rate (about $300 more).

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »

One job we did for an old farmer, I didn't plan on getting paid. He gave me a nice 4 frame stainless extractor he had had sitting around for 20 years. In that building there was another colony that I might go back to remove this year - just because.

I always admire these type of deals. Every one is happy,and you've probably made a good friend.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:41:23 pm »
I base it on the customer. I have done some for free. businesses more homeowners less. I have heard but can not confirm that the Ag dept had talked about the loses of honeybees and were concerned about intentionally destroying established hives with poison. I have talked to pest exterminators that told me that they wont do bee removals and that they have been told that they cannot kill them. I am waiting to hear if any of this is true or not . with all the losses of the honeybee population over the pass 2o years it would not suprise me what the gov does. plus they aways like a way to get money form the public to with fines to pay for their budgets.

john

Offline daven8er

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 08:24:22 am »
I have chosen to do one of the cutouts....he mentioned BEER (haha). I looked at the hive late in the season last year and he is willing to help all he can. He also told me of a friend needing some removed. I need the experience and the exposure. I agree a good deed does a spirit good.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 08:58:00 am »
I agree a good deed does a spirit good.

..............and  couple hundred bucks will make your wallet smile too. :-D
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09:52 am »
I definitely base it on the customer.  I have done plenty of removals for free or drastically reduced price (some people are too proud to take something for free, even though I think they should).   But if you think they can afford it,  I would not do it for free,  then they are just using you.   You can get a pretty good feel for someones personal finances in a short time.

I have a new weapon for those folks thanks to JP.   Show them this video and watch them change their mind about killing.

For Robo (Of Beemaster.com)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 10:17:30 am »
JP how did that removal go?
Did the bees make it or not?

I definitely base it on the customer.  I have done plenty of removals for free or drastically reduced price (some people are too proud to take something for free, even though I think they should).   But if you think they can afford it,  I would not do it for free,  then they are just using you.   You can get a pretty good feel for someones personal finances in a short time.

This is why a site visit first is a good thing, get to know who you are dealing with.

Offline Papaw

• Brood
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 12:27:48 pm »
what are some standard rates for Honey Bee removals? I'm reletively new to this and have done a couple just to get the bees.  Sounds like I need to be charging from time to time.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:49:54 pm »
(15 X what you think your time and knowledge is worth) + (any rental equipment cost + your time to go get it, set it up, tear it down and return it) + (cost of materials to make any agreed upon repairs + your time to make said repairs) + (fee for the removal of pesticide sprayed bees) = pretty fair price for the cut out.

If you are wondering where the 15 came from

2 hours to scope out the job, this includes drive time
1 hour to gather all needed junk to do the cut out and load on truck
8 hours to make cut out, you will not get much else done on this day even if it takes you 4 hours to do it, but
   then again it could be a real easy grab and go, adjust accordingly. I always figure 8 some might take longer.
2 hours to set up new hive, feed them over next couple of days and unload junk out of the truck
2 hours to build the wooden ware that is housing the new hive.

I still always like to go and meet the people first, most times that is more important the even looking at the bees. You can always say you need to look at the job first to accomplish this.

Don't sell yourself short, they want the service more than you need the bees!!

anything