Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead bees in front of new split  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Dead bees in front of new split
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:02:14 am »
Hello,

The bee club helped me split some hives on the weekend with bought queens, and I brought one 10 framer to a new site in town on Sunday night.  It was getting too dark and we thought we wouldn't worry about an entrance reducer.  I checked today to make sure the queen had left the cage, and noticed dead bees on the ground in front of the hive.  The odd bee was bringing in pollen and when I opened the lid I saw bees in the hive, but I didn't want to inspect so soon and disturb the new queen.  I'll check again early next week.  What could have killed the bees?  I could only think it might be a robbing fight, or (I hope not) pesticide.  Has anyone experienced this with a new split?

Lone

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Dead bees in front of new split
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:46:46 am »
how many dead bees.  a few and i wouldn't worry.  100's and i might.  some may have been killed in transport?  and cleaned out in the morning.  watch for normal activity and keep an eye out for robbing.  in a week or so, do a good check and make sure they are ok and the queen is doing her thing.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:00:34 pm »
I would bet on robbing if there were many bees there. 

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 03:13:46 am »
Thanks folks,

I didn't think of that one, Kathy, and it is possible.  There would have been a few hundred dead bees I reckon.  I've reduced the entrance right down in case it was a robbing issue.  There are bees bringing in pollen.  I'll probably check for eggs on Tuesday in all the splits we did with new queens.

Lone

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 11:12:23 am »
last time i brought a nuc home i had to drive about 60 miles...next morning they had brought out the dead....i think the high winds of driving kills some of the bees...had me wondering if the queen could have succumbed...so i did a quick inspection and gladly she was there

anything