Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mercury Outboard - Four Stroke  (Read 10306 times)

Offline rail

• House Bee
Mercury Outboard - Four Stroke
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:51:54 am »
My 15hp, four stroke, outboard will not idle unless the choke is engaged. Any other four stroke outboard owners with the same problem? :(
Sirach

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: Mercury Outboard - Four Stroke
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:24:25 pm »
sounds like lack of fuel,  clogged filter,  carb gummed up from crappy fuel.  Can you take carb bowl off and spray carb cleaner through needle.  Remove float, just dont lose the little pin that holds float in place
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:03:11 am »
Vacuum leak?

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 10:17:29 am »
Diaphragm in your fuel pump has a small hole in it.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:00:13 am »
Have you been running pure gas or corn gas in it?

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:14:50 am »
Have you been running pure gas or corn gas in it?

The first two hours on the engine was with 10% corn gas! Just switched to pure gas and it idles a little better now.

Seems there has been issues with the new four stroke outboards and ethanol fuel! :-x
Sirach

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:20:44 am »
I just put my small chain saw in the shop because of ethanol.    One day it would not hit but half a lick and when I let off the throttle, it died and would not fire again.   Don't let that stuff sit for more than a couple of months.   

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:28:34 pm »
Any thing you have that don't get cranked up and run at least once a week, "DON'T" use corn sipping s in it. Been there, done that. don2

Offline Nimrod

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:08:33 pm »
I have a new Merc 9.9 and I run reg. gas (not 10%) with Sea Foam added.  I have ran this mixture in all my other small engines and it has not failed.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 11:44:07 pm »
I'm a small engine mechanic.
 Gasohol draws moisture like a paper towel. never leave it in your engine more than a week without running it for at least 30 min. because it made from corn it also molds! It will turn the inside of the carburetor green and plug every hole in it. use green stabil with the gas. never buy more gasohol than you can use in a day. when you finish use your equipment run it dry and spray seafoam in the carb and cylinder.  do this and your equipment will last.

John

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 07:02:05 am »
Or make the drive over the state line to Alabama and buy pure gas.    :-D   I stocked up for spring on my last fishing trip.   

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 08:17:58 am »
Dumping groceries in your gas is never a good idea.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 08:23:43 pm »
Just got my outboard out of the shop because of corn gas. 
Won't run it again!!!
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 07:20:55 am »
Well folks it is apparent ethanol is not the fuel for the outboards described here. Have you faced any problems because of using it in other equipment such as chain saws, lawnmowers, blowers, etc?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 12:08:22 pm »
I never use ethanol gas in small engines.  Also try to empty them before winter sets in and they set.  No gas ages well and ethanol is even worse.  Buying engineered fuel and using it for what you think is the last time for the season also helps.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2022, 01:13:02 pm »
I run pure gasoline in all of my farm equipment. I used to buy corn gas but I quickly learned that it destroys rubber o-rings and fouls up the carburetor any time you leave them sit.
Right now it costs almost a dollar more than regular corn gas. All of that is in taxes. This is exactly opposite of what is normal. We buy off road diesel tax free but this is an extra heavily taxed. That is our great environmental government.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2022, 04:47:39 pm »
I run pure gasoline in all of my farm equipment.
It is hard to find down here.  You have to go to the coast and get rec 90.  Because it is used in boats it costs much more but the cost is not a problem it is the storage having to keep another fuel can around and separate.
That being said I run the corn gas in my Merc 90 and not experiencing problems yet.  Once a year I syphon the bottom of the tank.
Small engines like week whackers are a PITA because the ports are so small.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 04:56:58 pm by Ben Framed »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2022, 04:57:09 pm »
Brian when I can not find (real gas). I add Sta-Bil in my lawn equipment fuel, both 2 and 4 cycle engines hoping for some type of protection. So far it has not let me down..  'fingers crossed'

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2022, 07:56:12 pm »
What has worked for me is taking a dremil tool and cutting a slit in the H and L needle valves and opening them up.  These engines are fuel starved to begin with.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2022, 05:43:45 am »
What has worked for me is taking a dremil tool and cutting a slit in the H and L needle valves and opening them up.  These engines are fuel starved to begin with.

The only place I know you can buy real gas.. Is at an airport.. Just find a small airport near you.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134  😊
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything