Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beeswax and candle making  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Belzabeya

• New Bee
Beeswax and candle making
« on: March 07, 2007, 03:50:25 pm »
Is anyone here into beeswax candlemaking?  Cindy, I saw your post about your issues with the wicks on another forum and I can tell you that I can relate.   I think we could start another forum area under the "almost beekeeping - related topics". Anyways, here is the main thing with those wick: you need to double the size that they are rated for if you are using beeswax.  What size candles are you making?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Beeswax and candle making
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 08:48:56 pm »
My wife has been experimenting with votive candles. With mixed results.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 12:53:52 am »
Is anyone here into beeswax candlemaking?  Cindy, I saw your post about your issues with the wicks on another forum and I can tell you that I can relate.   I think we could start another forum area under the "almost beekeeping - related topics". Anyways, here is the main thing with those wick: you need to double the size that they are rated for if you are using beeswax.  What size candles are you making?

Wierd, I was going to make some candles with my relatives, but just never got around to it.  I am not currently making candles.  But do want to in the summertime when we can do it outdoors on our picnic tables.  I cannot recall ever mentioning that I had any problems with wicks and candles. Maybe I should go back and search my posts to check out if I may have been embellishing on a topic (LOL).  Have the best of the best day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Belzabeya

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 02:16:01 pm »
Very weird.... here is the posting that made me think it was Cindi on another forum:
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Beeswax   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,
I'm also new to this forum. I am a beekeeper. I've been trying to make beeswax candles. I'm going crazy trying to find the correct wicking for tea lights, votives and a small oval pillar mold. All the wicking I've tried so far seems to be too small and poop out too quickly. What ends up happening is that I use the wicking for my soy candles instead. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, I would love to read them. Thanks a lot. Nice website by the way.

Anyways, I think I have decide the following about wick sizing (after many bad candles..):
Tapers - 60 ply or #2 square braid
Votives - LX16 or LX20
pillars from 2" - 4" - #5 square braid

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:03:13 pm »
How could you possibly think our Cindi was the author of that other post?  It's way too short, no segway into the other beneficial attributes and healing power of soy.  No explanation that even though there are only two letters difference between wicking and wickening, that they are not the same thing, but that there will be a wickening in the woods near her property!   bahahahahahaha.. just having some fun with ya kiddo.

Offline Drone

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 11:03:53 pm »
grin... forgot to say that the post was signed "Cindi".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 12:03:46 am »
How could you possibly think our Cindi was the author of that other post?  It's way too short, no segway into the other beneficial attributes and healing power of soy.  No explanation that even though there are only two letters difference between wicking and wickening, that they are not the same thing, but that there will be a wickening in the woods near her property!   bahahahahahaha.. just having some fun with ya kiddo.

thegolfpsycho

Holycadoodlehopper.  Are you trying to say that I am rather long winded when it comes to typing a post?  I had a great laughing out loud over that one.  I am a long winded typist and often venture in the deeper parts of explanations, I know that.  BUT, it only comes with the ability to type with the speed of light.  I spent many many years typing research for a company in our downtown Vancouver.  I became the most efficient typist, and may I add, with few errors.  Sometimes we have to toot our own horn, no one else will.  I excelled in the field of word processing and editing.  Our research reports, after they were proofread and sent to prospective clients were graded.  And again, I must blow my horn.  My marks on the reports that were returned after being proofread and graded were very high. I do not like to brag, but I must brag now and then. Why not?  It is not my nature, but no one knows me in this forum personally, so I can be as anal as I want to be (lol, really hard over this one).

So, really, am I long winded.  Hmmmm...I would have to say so for sure, but too bad!!! Suck it up.

Oh no, I forgot what this post was actually about.  Better read the prior posts, back in a minute. 

Right, a wickening on our property, maybe.

We had the experience of having two very dear friends of our joining their lives in celebration of a marriage two summers before last.  The ceremony was not of the usual.  She is wicken.  He is not.  It was held on July 30, a blue moon.  The full moon visible to the naked eye did not rise until after 1:00 A.M. that night.  But when it did, it completed the evening and we stayed up until after dawn.

It was a beautiful summer day -- a day and night that I will never forget.  the High Priestess peformed a most beautiful ceremony.  There was some magic in the air that entire day and well onto the night.  We drank lots of mead.

My brother is in the film industry and he video taped the entire day and night.  After some time he composed a beautiful video tape and gave it to this couple as his contribution to a day that he will never forget either.

This summer we are having a huge family reunion on our property.  It will encompass my mother and father's side, and many other dear and close friends of our family.  We have sent invitations to all.  We have five acres that are cleared and we have extended the invitation for anyone who would care to camp, bring their vehicles, tents, 5th wheels, whatever, spend the weekend and have some fun.  It will be an event to remember.  We are in the process of the intinerary.  But with all the family members that we share our land with, it should come off like nothing ever was to happen.  Especially with so many young and enthusiastic people.  Life indeed is a hoot and a hollar.  All have the best of the best days.  Sorry I did not stay on track with the post, I just cannot stop myself and my fingers that want to fly.  Cindi

thegoldpsycho....you are right!!!!!!!
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 02:05:28 am »
BAHAHAHAHAHHA.. What??  Nothing about soy??   hehehehehe