Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hiving my Bees Question  (Read 2618 times)

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
Hiving my Bees Question
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:56:30 am »
I have a question about hiving my bees.  Last year was my first year as a beek and I picked up my package of bees and hived them that afternoon (weather was good).

I picked up a package of bees this morning and there was no way to hive them today with the terrible storms that came through.  Tomorrow is supposed to be nice.  I read where it was better to hive them in the afternoon, but since they have been in my garage all day should I hive them in the morning, or wait until tomorrow afternoon?

Thanks,
Sarah

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
Re: Hiving my Bees Question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:00:31 am »
I've done this in the morning and in the afternoon.  I don't think it really makes that much of a difference, but I have exactly one data point from each (last year was my first year).

-T
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:23:18 am »
Sarah, you can install them in the morning. Welcome to beemaster!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 11:22:14 am »
Thanks, guys!

I will hive them as soon as I have my coffee  :-D

Offline Ernest T. Bass

• House Bee
    • Home 'n Stead Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:54:53 am »
I think I'll just hijack this thread rather than start my own... Our bees showed up last night. We've had beautiful spring weather here in the U.P. for weeks, and now it's a drizzly/rainy 40 degrees out with a chance of snow for the next three days. Wednesday is the next clear 50 degree day. The bees shipped up from CA, so I'm just not sure if I should leave them boxed up that long.. What should I do? Install in the cold as quickly as possible and give them lots of feed?
"One in the same, Bass is the name!"

Have a minute to burn? Perhaps you'd like to check out some of the movies that my siblings and I like to make...

Lund Family Productions

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:31:12 pm »
Thanks, guys!

I will hive them as soon as I have my coffee  :-D

Let us know how it went for you. Sounds exciting!!!

Offline Ernest T. Bass

• House Bee
    • Home 'n Stead Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:49:14 pm »
Okay, here's a follow up.. We're going to be getting several inches of snow through the next couple days. Right now the packages are in our unheated garage. If we plan on waiting three days before installing should we bring them in the house? I've been spraying them with sugar syrup several times a day, but should we attempt to refill the can in the package?

Thanks!
"One in the same, Bass is the name!"

Have a minute to burn? Perhaps you'd like to check out some of the movies that my siblings and I like to make...

Lund Family Productions

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 11:32:50 pm »
Well, that was more fun than last year !!!!

Last year I only had one hive and it was my first time so I was REAL nervous.  This year I knew what to do, so it was fun.  Now I have 2 hives like I should - just couldn't afford it last year.

The only hitch I had was getting the cork out of the queen cage.  I ended up pushing it too far in to retrieve it.  I finally carefully poked a hole through the candy w/o hurting her so hopefuly they will be able to release her.  I will check on her in a couple of days and maybe release her myself.  The weather is supposed to be sunny and nice through Thu.

I must say, the girls were hungry!!!  I put a quart of syrup in my Boardman feeder around noon and by 3:00 pm it was almost empty  :shock:

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 11:34:30 pm »
Sorry you are having such lousy weather, Ernest.  Maybe you should start another thread since nobody has replied to you.

I hope your bees make it through ok and you get them hived soon!

anything