Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do I even need to feed new packages?  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
Do I even need to feed new packages?
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:42:43 pm »
I was hit with the 3rd year curse  :'( ...lost most of my hives after a very prosperous 2nd year.  Now I have lots of frames of capped honey and empty brood frames for my 3# packages that will arrive this weekend.  I am arranging the frames in my deep hive bodys with 1 undrawn frame in the middle, surrounded by 4  drawn brood frames and 2 full capped frames of honey on each side.  I will then install my packages into these hives.  Since everything is drawn, I could even set up a second hive body of drawn comb and honey in a similar manner.  Does that sound right and do I still need to feed the new packages? 
-Mike

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Do I even need to feed new packages?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:19:04 pm »
No you don't need to feed sugar.  Honey is a better food for the bees.  Don't add the second hive body until the first deep is mostly full of bees.  You don't want to give them too much space to try to keep warm.

Since they have drawn comb and honey already, your new bees should jump into brood rearing like a rocket. 
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:32:16 pm »
If they have stores, they are fine.  Capped honey would be a great start for a new colony.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:38:51 pm »
Is there pollen in the frames or available from the field? They need pollen or sub to raise brood.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »
I have quite a few pollen frames as well.  Where should I place the pollen frame or frames?
-Mike

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:54 pm »
Not sure if Im right or not, but heres how I set mine up. (10 frame)

FSPBBBBPSF

F=Foundation
S=Capped Syrup
P=Pollen
B=Empty Drawn.

My thinking is until I had a nice population of bees and brood, I wouldnt want to breakup the broodnest with a foundation frame.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »
That makes sense....pollen outside the brood frames so they can feed the larvae. 

So mine will be HHPBBBBPHH.  They should get off to a good start with the house fully furnished and the cubbords full  :-D

There should be pollen in our area within the next few weeks.  I think the first pollen we get is from the maples, but we had snow last week, so the winter is really dragging on.
-Mike

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 03:46:12 pm »
but we had snow last week, so the winter is really dragging on.

So now isnt the time to tell you that I have already packed up my winter coat huh?  :-D

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 06:29:54 pm »
but we had snow last week, so the winter is really dragging on.

So now isnt the time to tell you that I have already packed up my winter coat huh?  :-D
No don't tell him that, and don't tell him it got to 90 degress here in TN sat. And please don't tell him that your bees been bringing in pollen for about six weeks either.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:40 pm »
I heard that.... :-D
-Mike

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 11:33:08 pm »
And I'm sure not going to tell him I caught a swarm today and missed another one by 5 minutes.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:43:34 am »
Next thing you know, you guys will be telling me that Uncle Jessie just dropped off a load of moonshine at your front door in exchange for some jars of honey....and I'll know you are either pulling my leg or I'll need to move down South to join you  :-D
-Mike

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 10:03:06 am »
Next thing you know, you guys will be telling me that Uncle Jessie just dropped off a load of moonshine at your front door in exchange for some jars of honey....and I'll know you are either pulling my leg or I'll need to move down South to join you  :-D

You got it about right.  But my Uncle's name is Shirley.  I'm not kidding.   :-D

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 02:23:59 pm »

You got it about right.  But my Uncle's name is Shirley.  I'm not kidding.   :-D

I had an Uncle Shirley, too. And an Aunt Ed. No kidding. Too bad they weren't married to one another. (Sorry to lead the thread any further off track.)

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 03:26:27 pm »
He was Uncle Shirley Todd.  A tough old guy who lived in the hills of north Alabama.  He worked construction and farmed and made sorghum molasses. And a good part of that sorghum syrup was fermented and found its way to a still out in the woods.

P.S.  And he was a good Christian too.  :-D