Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
Greetings!
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:22:13 am »
Just wanted to say hello.

My name is Richard.

I am new here and new to bee keeping.  I have been reading learning, attending classes, meeting the local club, and have begun building my gear.

My goal is to add an apiary to our farm to enhance our produce production and help out our apple trees.  The honey is an additional bonus.  It just seems the right thing to do and I must admit I am absolutely fascinated by the whole thing.  The last couple of months I have simply been taking in as much data as possible and looking for someone local to mentor with (no joy there unfortunately).

We are a pesticide free farm (with exceptions of the occasional ground hornets and wasps that decide to build in the way of operations or high traffic areas) of about 320 or so acres surrounded by friendly neighbors that also have a couple hundred acres of alf-alfa, clover, and grazing grounds.  So I think I might have a good location at least.

I've been lurking for a while reading stuff and decided to join and say hello.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 01:39:08 pm »
Welcome to this exciting and gripping hobby (for most)!!

I think beekeeping is a great addition to any farm.  Pollination is great, and if you are already selling vegetables you only need a small space to put the honey out on.  The down side is that all the fruit can break old trees that aren't used to it....

As far as a mentor goes, keep an eye on the locations of members, and maybe you can build a network of nearby beeks.  Most beeks aren't on the internet (although a lot are) and probably the best way to find a mentor is at a club.  Don't be afraid to call and ask somebody questions, usually are answered cheerfully.  A lot of the old beeks(in my experience, YMMV) are in the chemical club, so of limited help if you are trying to go chem-free.

And have fun!  It can get expensive, but if you can use a table saw and have time, you can make any part of the hive.

Rick

Rick

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 06:10:19 pm »
Welcome,
you have joined up with a fine group here .they will be more than willing to answer any questions you may have. :)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:49:38 pm »
Hi Richard!
Welcome to the bees!
I'm new as of this spring and I'm having a BLAST doing my bees.
I'm still reading about bees on the net and in books. This place is unbeatable as far as people and opinions about bees.
 Take a look at "Bush Farms". Theres great stuff about bees there and its really easy to understand, Also, I found the "Idiot" book on beekeeping and that was a great help! For me, once I read that book, It made alot of other books easier to understand.
Have a blast and read these beemaster forums.. Sometimes I read the forums till bedtime because its sometimes just hard to stop.
Well, enjoy the bees 'cuz they are really cool little bugs!
your friend,
john

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »
If you want pesticide free bees I suggest you also join this group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Organicbeekeepers
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:21:12 pm »
Thanks folks!

Michael Bush

I've been spending a lot of time reading over your opinions and comparing them to what I have read in the mainstream and I have been considering going all mediums.  In fact, the first hive I have built is an all medium construction.

Scadsobees

I have a saw mill and a decent supply of wood and plan to build some parts of my hives, but having ordered my first parts, I have to say that making my own is not much cheaper, even considering I don't have to buy the wood.  It takes a fair amount of time to get to a nice piece of workable lumber.  I never mill the softer woods, though I have been considering taking down two cedars in my back yard.

As to Chem free...I was simply describing the land I hope to share with the bees.  I never considered going chem free with the hives...but now that it has been discussed briefly here I am going to look into it.

I won't be able to claim organic though since we do grow GM crops and I think (I could be wrong) you need to be able to prove none of the pollen and nectar sources are non-organic.  Not too sure how you would do that.  I may be completely wrong about that.  Even if I went completely organic non-GM (in the non-organic label sense...since all crops and flowers and fruit are GM ini some way shape or form) too many of the local farmers do GM too.

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I hope to be an asset once I beat the learning curve.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:47:01 pm »
Lots of info on interventionless beekeeping here:

www.bushfarms.com

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:28:10 pm »
Richard, welcome!!!  I love the name of your ativar, by the way, Carriage House Farms.  Does it have some significance that you may want to tell us about.  I can be one of the nosier ones on the forums, not really nosey, just a curious person, hee haw!!!  :) :)

Glad you have come onboard, you will love this place, friendly, safe and a wonderful place to spend some quiet time in your mind.  YOu will learn and learn and learn.  Most all, remember, never ever think that any question is not worthy of an answer, every question is important, remember that clearly and ask all the questions you need to, if you can't get the right answer, ask the queery again.  Sounds like you live on a very beautiful hunk of land.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day on our great ol' earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 11:32:23 pm »
Carriage House Farm is the name of my family farm.  I am the 6th generation to work it.  It was established in 1840s.  We are an Ohio Century farm, one of three registered in Hamilton County, located right outside Cincinnati.

I have a website for my farm, but I cannot link to it yet.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 11:36:45 pm »
Richard, how nice to have kept the farm in the family, yeah!!!  Thanks for the little diddy of history.  I will look at the link when you can link it  :)  Have a wonderful day, beautiful day in our great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything