Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cindi's learning Strine  (Read 19619 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Cindi's learning Strine
« on: November 19, 2009, 05:33:54 pm »
Bygum that Cindi's a grouse sheila.

On another thread she asked me what "grouse" meant so I told her eh? And I told her that if she started speaking it over there where she lives she could start a whole new language, now wouldnt that be grouse?

So I'm thinking that we should be helping her out here by educatin her with some of these grouse new words that she could bamboozle her mates with and then she could really start a new language, fair dinkum

So Lone, Mick and the rest of youse guys start giving her new words that she can flabbergast her mates with

Mick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Cindi's learning Strine
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:46:04 pm »
Yes, I would like to see that list also. Many years ago my husband bought me a cd of music and I can't remember the artist,but he obviously was speaking Strine and that is why I could not understand what he was saying, but now I see many of the words you fellows use he was speaking on the CD.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:29:41 pm »
Mick, by George, by golly, bygum.....now that has gotta be a totally funnnnnnneee thing.  Don't, is all I can really say, I have the hardest time with my own English language, let alone trying to speak a totally different jargon from somewhere from half way down to the bottom of the world, smiling.  I am positive and for sure that if I tried to use some of the Australian bygums, I would be in trouble, I would mix up all the words and no one would ever again believe a word that I said  :shock: :shock: :shock: and smiling that big smile.  But Mick, thanks for thinking of me and how much I could bamboozle my friends, smiling. Have that most beautiful and great day, to love and live with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:36:31 am »
We really should start the lessons with words that can get one into scrapes.  When my sister in law was in America, she asked at a shop for a pusher.  So before the shop assistant pressed the emergency button, she had to explain that she was not seeking illegal substances, she was after a stroller, i.e. a chair on wheels used to transport billy-lids* and prevent them from disappearing.  This is also commonly known as a pram.  Similarly, a push bike, or treadly are the common terms for a bicycle.  

Now, pot plant is another term needing clarification.  I believe the translation is "potted plant" in America.  It is not in anyway a drug reference unless you live near Nimbin.  

Just some grammatical tips for Cindi.  Please note and learn the grammar in the following sentence.
"I would of went to Broady yest'dy arv, but crikey, I gets held up in Frankie by these pack of yobbos givin me grief, then the tram packs it in, so Phil and me's gunna see ya Thursdy, mate."  

Of course, you can easily speak Queensland by adding "eh" on the end of the sentence, or Far North Queensland by adding "true, eh".

You two will be ridgy-didge dinki di sheilas before long.

Lone

*kids, i.e. young children, toe-nippers, ankle-biters, shin-biters.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 07:11:04 am »
Hey Lone ya star ya got it all sorted out for Cindi eh. That Cindi's gunnabe a real synthetic Aussie by the time she has 'er next birthd'y eh. Don't teach 'er too much all at once 'cause she might come a cropper and use the wrong words eh.

Good thing I spent some time in fnq 'cause I know 'ow they talk up there eh

Oh and by the way I think we'll call ya LoneStar see'n ya are one eh. Waddya reckon eh

Slicko the sicko
Ooops almost forgot.... eh eh

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:10:23 am »
Cindi can cop a bit of flack; she's as tough as a pack of quolls.  I reckon her aussie name should be Chookie.

As for lonestar, lovely tell yer granny eh  :-x

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 09:41:02 am »

Of course, you can easily speak Queensland by adding "eh" on the end of the sentence, or Far North Queensland by adding "true, eh".

So, Queensland is like the Canada of Australia - linguistically speaking.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:58:06 pm »
Around here we'll call our kids "cute little buggers".  :roll:

I think that is one of the words not to use down there.

Rick

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:13:26 pm »
   You forgot the rug rats Lone.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 05:43:36 am »
OK Chookie here's the new word from old Slicko.. hunkydoorie

as in "She'll be hunkydoorie mate"  right, ok, sweet, cool

Now Chookie ya gotta use the new word in at least one post in this thread just so we know ya understand

Slicko

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 08:44:07 am »

Davo, then Canada must be the New Zealand of America. 

I think that is one of the words not to use down there.

People use it to be smart, but it's not nice if you look at the origin.  By the way, the only aussie nick I can think of for you is Sca-bees. :lol:

You forgot the rug rats Lone.

OK then Yinnar, snotty-nosed rug rats.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/hunky-dory.html   Looks like that one might be american in origin.  It could have arrived here via New Zealand.

Hey Slicko, if we talked Sunshine State, we'd even flummox the Mexicans. 
Well, the roo rats are stretching, so I'd better have a bogie in the gunyah and crawl under me wagga.

Lone

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 11:35:31 am »
as in "She'll be hunkydoorie mate"  right, ok, sweet, cool
Now Chookie ya gotta use the new word in at least one post in this thread just so we know ya understand
Slicko

You guys make me laugh, and just gotta say -- Nope, not gonna do it, smiling.  I have a hard enough time to learn my own English language with correct grammar, throw some other dialect in there, I'm done.  I can't barely even remember some of the words that ya'll have tried to teach me, just can't do it  :) :) :)

BTW I use the word "hunkydorrie" all the time, that is kind of a funny thing. Have those beautiful days, to love and live with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 03:25:04 pm »
I see the topic is "Cindi's learning Strine". thought I'd add the usual meaning of grouse in this neck of the woods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grouse

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 12:39:58 am »
wd, hee, hee, hee, yes, grouse, yummy, love to eat those lil' birds, smiling, they make for a tastey meal.  Grouse Mountain, a great skiing place....beautiful days, loving and living life, health.  Cindi

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:31 am »
Hey Chookie, I though for a moment you meant Space Mountain in Disneyland and then I read about the great skiing and thought, no, they'd be pretty hard up if they tried to ski Space Mountain

Mick

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 06:21:56 am »
Slicko you slacko, you can't let Chookie off the hook with her eddicatin.  Learn her up good.

How about learnin her the strine for some of her favourite creatures: chooks and quackers.  Another word for chook is, of course, cackleferrie, and they lay cackleberries.  Some aussie cackleferrie breeds include the australorp, australian game, and australian langshan.  To call them, you stand in the yard yelling "chook, chook, chook, chook..."  Then you get them some nice scraps and they wobble their way to you as fast as they can.

A local quacker is the burdekin duck.  Burdekin duck is also what we call corned beef.  Corned beef is our staple diet, along with vegemite.  It's interesting to note that when a ringer comes to town (ringer- jackaroo, cow-cockie, stationhand, cowby) he will invariably order a corned beef sanger (sanger - sandwich) at the cafe, even though he eats corned beef every day on the station.

Hope this helps and you pass your exam, Chookie.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 06:49:53 am »
Then Loanstar we 'ave the other chooks.. the white chook, the brown chook, the black chook, and the frozen chook and the bbq chook. An ya call me a slacko when ya missed the important ones.

Now listen up Loan I thought Chookie might 'preciate some Ozzie po'try so I put a bit of the Banjo's inta me signata.. its the first 2 verses of a Bush Christenin by me mate banjo.. corse it needs some explanin.. the Barcoo is a riva out 'ere an the outa barcoo is furtha out, see.. an a corse they dont have any churches there corse there arnt any pepel to go an prey there.. cept for Mick Magee who lived in a shandy.. oops, shanty.. ere I was thinking ow thirsty I am. Now this Mick was the proud dad of his lad oo had neva been dipped in oley wata, see so he reckoned he should be but see'n the Barcoo was dry and the clergy was a bit of a boozer 'e thought 'e should get 'im named instead of call'n 'im Hey You all the time.

Any'ow I dont wanna get ahead of the story but if ya wanna hear more about Mick an his 10 year old lad temporly called Hey You then, Chookie give us the word. Itsa grate pome

An Loan dont go tellin 'en the endin'

Slicko's no slacko :-P

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 01:22:41 am »

Much like taking the H off your hat and and putting it on your Hass to speak cockney English, eh, mate?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 01:27:14 am »
Hey Chookie, where are ya Chookie? Come in Chookie, ova

Slicko

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 10:09:41 am »
Bonza Lone,

Dunno bout goin up to Broady, its full of boguns and westies. Ow bout we drop down to Lygon and play spot the skip? That's always good for a lark. Maybe catch some grub while we're there? Whatchreckon?

Hoo roo
Phil

anything