Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee suits  (Read 8640 times)

Moots

Re: Bee suits
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 04:29:04 pm »
I'm curious as to why one would want to keep "mean and nasty" bees. Wouldn't a better solution would be to re queen with something a lil more gentle?

:-D And who is going to re queen the nasty hive?  :-D

And what will they bee wearing?

mvh Edward  :-P

And the other answer you'll usually get for keeping mean and nasty bees is that they're great honey producers!  :-D

But I'm with Santa Caras....personally, have no interest in keeping them...I don't need honey that bad.  :laugh:

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 04:43:38 pm »
I'm curious as to why one would want to keep "mean and nasty" bees. Wouldn't a better solution would be to requeen with something a lil more gentle?

:-D And who is going to re queen the nasty hive?  :-D

Good Point! LOL! 3 large shirts, 2 veils, snow ski pants, snow gloves.  THEN requeen! and next time shorts, flip flops, and tank top. Bee a good test for gentleness. edit that....good running shoes in case there are still old brood around! :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 05:00:26 pm »
And who is going to re queen the nasty hive? 

LOL

don't go with just the veil.  i can tell you from personal experience that bees will get in there, and the more aggressive the bees, the faster and the more of them will get in!

i do my very best not to get stung because i have nasty reactions.  i have found that a jacket/hood combo and loose fitting jeans are enough.  boots also because no one wants to see me stripping off my pants in the field....it's been done already.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Hachi

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 08:52:16 pm »
Perhaps I need to give a little background as to why my post....

A friend asked me to take over his "Fiesty" hive whilst his work and personal life get in the way. 

I took them over he moved them to my apiary and I let them settle down.  After a week or so tried to get into them, WOW!! I cracked off the crown board and they go berserk.  I quickly made my way down the supers taking ten stings.  Decided to close up and re-think my approach.

This continued for about a month, I limited myself to ten stings per visit which meant I never got to the Queen excluder above the brood box.

Decided to re-Queen.  Moving hive to new location 20ft to right at midday so as to "bleed" off the flying bees to original site to reduce bee numbers, the seal moved and I took 15 stings so placed the hive on floor and executed a tactical withdraw very quickly.

I'm done, these are not fiesty they are evil and presented a clear danger to the farmer and I and passersby, I even started getting pinged when I arrived at the apiary when I was getting out of my truck some 120ft from the hive.  Called my buddy and told him to either collect them or they will be no more; his call.

They went at the weekend to a professional bee keeper.  He got stung collecting them.

At each visit I was fully suited and booted but my suit is tight and they were stinging me thro the suit hence my post.  I agree a veil will not be good enough but as I have never owned one just seen piccy's of them, I thought I'd get your advice.  Thanks.  I think I know where my money is going to be spent.

I have met some real nice and sincere people along this journey and I have learnt some valuable lessons along the way.  There is absolutely no good reason to tolerate bee's as nasty as these (words fail me when trying to describe their ferocity) They may be excellent foragers but whether you practice the craft for pleasure or for your occupation you don't need honey this badly.  My personal limits to tolerating "fiesty" bee's has been clearly defined for me and its a line I will not cross.  If I have a hive heading this way I will take steps to resolve it straight away.

Thanks all for your help and advice it is very much appreciated.

H

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 08:58:25 pm »
Don't forget to stoke your smoker and smoke them good  :jerry:

I had a bear eat 3 1/2 hives, the 1/2 that survived beecame angry as  :evil:

Haven't had the heart to kill the Queen, but I wear sweat pants and hood when I harvest them and light my smoker for the first time each year.

After the first 5 minute when i realize my suit is holding them At bay my pulse drops back to normal  :angel:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 02:51:04 pm »
If you were in the US people would be saying they were AHB...  but obviously there have always been occasional mean colonies.  Here's how I requeen:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrequeeninghot.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hachi

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 05:47:01 pm »
If you were in the US people would be saying they were AHB...  but obviously there have always been occasional mean colonies.  Here's how I requeen:

Sorry Mike AHB?? I'm not familiar with that acronym

Moots

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 05:53:35 pm »

Sorry Mike AHB?? I'm not familiar with that acronym

Africanized Honey Bee: Wiki Link!

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 12:05:06 pm »
This thread inspired me to order a Golden Bee full suit to go with my hooded jacket. Had a long chat with Suzie who makes them while I was at it. Nice lady.

We have bear problems every year, and as Edward said, putting what's left of a hive back together is a high-adrenaline sport.

Bees are like snapping turtles and ex-wives: If you mess with them long enough, they'll find a way to get you.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »
I probably ought not even to say this, however;

I went on Ebay just to get an idea of some different prices on bee suits. I saw one pretty dog gone cheap from China. I wasn't going to buy it but I looked anyway. The picture pulled up a young cute Chinese girl wearing a veil and jacket only - no pants, and I mean no pants. Her legs were bare from top to bottom. She had to be wearing a bikini bottom. I'm thinking, what the heck are they trying to sell here? I bet a lot of the males who bought it probably don't have an idea what the suit really looks like. All I can say is it's a shame what goes on in this world.(with bee suits) :angel:

at least I didn't go off thread.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 01:58:55 pm »

Bees are like snapping turtles and ex-wives: If you mess with them long enough, they'll find a way to get you.

:lau:
John 3:16

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 04:09:52 pm »
I have had bad experiences with inexpensive bee suits  :-x

The veil and cloth are OK, but the critical point of were the zippers start or meet, is the true measure of a bee suit that is bee tight or leaks.

I would bee wary buying a suit that doesn't come with a recommendation from a beekeeping beekeeper.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Glen H

• New Bee
    • My you Tube Chanel
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 08:33:08 pm »
I've been wearing a full Man lake bee suite all summer and have not gotten one sting through it.
I got one that was lose fitting, so that it wasn't tight to my skin. Once while inspecting a queen-less hive with another guy, the bees went nuts and he got 8-10 stings on his head I got nun. His suit was to tight for him.

I'd post a link to it but I'm too new and they won't let me. It's the full Sherriff style suit with a zip on hood.

Glen
Located in Zone 5b

anything