Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to make splits in Michigan  (Read 1458 times)

Offline KyBoy

• New Bee
When to make splits in Michigan
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:38:19 pm »
I am a second year bee keeper and live near Flint, Michigan.   I have three hives and would like to split the hives this year.   My question is when should I request queen delivery for my new hives?  Our weather is so unpredictable through early May that we might have 70+ degree days or snowy days during this period, so I am concerned that I might get the queens and not be able to work in the bees and make the splits for up to a week after delivery.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
KyBoy

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: When to make splits in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 02:02:15 pm »
If you are ordering queens, then almost any time will work, although I'd shoot for mid April, or a bit later to get the most number of bees.  That is also a good time to be opening up the brood nest. Swarm season starts around the middle of May.

Generally I've read that people can start doing splits when raising their own queens about the time dandelions bloom which is also when the drones start flying. 

If you buy a queen the weather is not as much of a factor, since she don't need to mate.  So then you just need to wait for a maximum of brood and bees, and there should be plenty 4 weeks from now.
Rick

Offline KyBoy

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:56:15 pm »
Thanks Scads!   I will order for third week of April.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:40:05 pm »
It depends on many things.  I've seen some Italian hives this time of year, here, that could be split right now.  Carniolans probably won't be built up enough for that Until May.  Some hives are somewhere in between.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin