Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Keeping the Bees  (Read 1514 times)

Offline khrissy

• Brood
Keeping the Bees
« on: June 19, 2006, 01:49:02 am »
We purchased a mobile home to use for a shed.I noticed a hive near the tounge of the trailer.They had to be removed before the trailer could be moved.So I let off a roach bomb under the hive. It did the job.I felt bad..  We went to work on getting things ready for the move and noticed they had moved to the back of the trailer.I told my son if they survive the trip he can keep them.Now we own the bees.I was amazed to find out they did not swarm to the back it was a second hive.So I asked a man down the road if he could help us get them into a super.He came out and gave a good try.No good.So I suited up and gave it a try.The hive was huge! What are studs 16 x16? They filled up four sections, between the floor and sub floor was packed. One section they even built in a rounded shape.                                                                                                      So i did my best to try and find the queen. There was three and lots of drowns.My neigbor already took the brood comb.I thought it was old comb. I put the queen in the super also some comb with honey . No one stayed. So now they have swarmed to near by tree wraped in honey suckle and a fence post and american wire. This has been a adventure still working on the situation. I don't have a good clearing under them to capture the bees.This time I,m going to get them and put the queen excluder on the bottom and see if that works.

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Keeping the Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:22:44 am »
Where at in Alabama?
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Keeping the Bees
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:19:19 pm »
If you had wanted the bees to stay it would have been better to tie the brood comb into the frames and then work those frames out over time.  With no brood, from which they could raise a queen if needed, they often abscond.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything