Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees on underside of bottom board  (Read 3557 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
bees on underside of bottom board
« on: May 30, 2005, 11:48:50 am »
yesterday evening, I checked the queen cages to see if queens were released, & they weren't, but candy was almost gone. Of course I had to open the hive bodies to do so & noticed last night a handfull of bees on the underside of the bottom board on both hive bodies. Just now I checked & bees are still on the underside of the bottom boards. Should I do anything to usher these bees back in or just leave them alone. I did add a stick to both hives, as to try & direct them to the hive entrance last night, but it didn't do anything.
Thnx for all replies & suggestions
JP.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 05:39:41 pm »
Of course I had to open the hive bodies to do so & noticed last night a handfull of bees on the underside of the bottom board on both hive bodies. Just now I checked & bees are still on the underside of the bottom boards.

Do you have a picture?  I'm a little confused (very easy for me!) about how you're seeing  bees underneath the bottom board by opening the hive.  Do you hives not sit on a stand?  Is there an opening that is allowing them to go underneath the hive?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 06:26:09 pm »
Sherry,
my boxes are approx. 18" from the ground, & I have screen bottoms on both hives. The boxes are on bench-like stands made of 2x4's with 1x2's on top of the 2x4's, to allow rainwater to escape.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 06:32:10 pm »
also need to mention that the 1x2's are spaced out 2" apart.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 06:55:00 pm »
Oh screen bottoms. Yeah they were trying to get into the hive from the bottom. And probably gave up. I had bees stay on the bottom for awhile and I guess they finally figured it out. Herd them in if you want to. couldn't hurt.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 07:37:37 pm »
Okey Dokey ....  Yeah, like Jerry said, they'll figure it out.  Must be "blonde" bees  :lol:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 10:36:11 pm »
Are these a package?  I just do direct releases in packages.  I'd let the queens out and see if that doesn't clear things up.  Also, with a package, I would have the tray in the SBB.  If you don't have one, I'd MAKE one and close up the SBB until it gets hot in the summer.  A package needs to be able to heat and humidify the brood area and that's hard for a package with an open SBB.

If they are confused about the smells coming from the SBB it will help with that to close it also.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 12:33:14 am »
Michael,
it's 85 degrees here in Louisiana

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 10:47:21 am »
At night?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 05:12:12 pm »
This happened to me when I started my hive.  I left them alone.  Just be careful not to squish any bees when you put the covers back on.  It's almost an impossible thing with that many bees up there.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

anything