Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question on orientation flights?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Question on orientation flights?
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:53:50 pm »
I just went out and did a hive inspection.  When I got down to the hive I saw probably a thousand bees flying in unison in front of the hive,  just back and forth.  Not going in or out.  They were all looking at the front of the hive and just kind of like swaying back and forth in the air.  Are these orientation flights?   
    Also,  two weeks ago I moved a medium super in between the two deep brood boxes.  I had had it on top for three weeks and they never touched it.  Now after two weeks it is half drawn out so I moved it back up to the top.   Problem now is that I saw larva in the new comb and some already capped?!  Will these hatch in a few weeks and the bee's backfill with honey?   Goldenrod is just starting in earnest and I think we will have it now for the next six weeks or so.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Question on orientation flights?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 10:10:46 pm »
I just went out and did a hive inspection.  When I got down to the hive I saw probably a thousand bees flying in unison in front of the hive,  just back and forth.  Not going in or out.  They were all looking at the front of the hive and just kind of like swaying back and forth in the air.  Are these orientation flights?   
    Also,  two weeks ago I moved a medium super in between the two deep brood boxes.  I had had it on top for three weeks and they never touched it.  Now after two weeks it is half drawn out so I moved it back up to the top.   Problem now is that I saw larva in the new comb and some already capped?!  Will these hatch in a few weeks and the bee's backfill with honey?   Goldenrod is just starting in earnest and I think we will have it now for the next six weeks or so.

Are these orientation flights? IMO yes

Will these hatch in a few weeks ? yes

Will the bee's backfill with honey? May BEE

IMO use all the same size box's

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything