Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Change over to Carni's  (Read 1907 times)

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Change over to Carni's
« on: June 29, 2009, 11:39:47 am »
Well ok so about six weeks ago, bit longer perhaps, I made six splits, used some new carni queens, I was over there checking it out yesterday, they are moving along pretty good, I noticed the color change is taking place, but there are still some Italian mix still in the hive, any ideas on how long before the complete transition will take place. I would have thought by now the original bees would have  died out. Would they last any longer due to being a  split.
Just wondering, ???
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: Change over to Carni's
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:03:41 pm »
If your carni queen was open mated there is a chance she may have mated with one or more italian drones thus the color differents. Another scenerio is if your hives are close to the hive you split there may be some drifting of the italian bees into the new hives. I have yet to see a hive that didnt have different color bees in the same hive. ;)
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:16:50 pm »
3 weeks for the last of the old queen's young to emerge. 2 weeks for them to start foraging. 3 to 6 weeks of forage life. TOTAL>>> 8 to 11 weeks.

Be patient.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 04:25:12 pm »
What color are the carni bees?  I put carni queen cells in my hives 5 weeks ago.  Should I be seeing something different by now?  They were Italian bees.

Joan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 05:11:46 pm »
Carnis run from black black all the way to yellow.  usually some mixture.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 07:10:00 pm »
My Carnies for the most part are black black for the queens....as well as black for the drones. The workers are black with dark brown to greyish bands.

I do get a few queens that are black with some yellow bands, as well as a few that are dark brown/grey with black. I have a few Russians and some Italians that are not too far from the Carnies.

Brenda

Brenda

anything