Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Basic Know How for Frame Assembly  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
Basic Know How for Frame Assembly
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:40:03 am »
I have tried to find a thread that deals with methods to make frame assembly easier, but haven't found one yet. Maybe the questions below are simple and I am missing something...

Question 1: I have the full frame and I use fine wire to wire up the frames (bought from bee supplier).
Does anyone have tips/advice on how to keep the wire from tangling all up from the spool?
There is great difficulty in trying to 'tame' the spool, and knots in the wire affect the wire and snaps when tightening.

Question 2: Also, does anyone have advice on how to tighten the wire when in the frame?

and

Question 3: What is the best way to embed the wax sheeting into the wire?
(I have tried to use the electric battery charger, but for the most part some of the wire gets embeded while the rest doesn't)

:mrgreen:

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
Re: Basic Know How for Frame Assembly
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:49:12 am »
A good place to look is on Youtube..  SEARCH: <FATBEEMAN frame assembly>. He shows a quick and easy way plus he uses fishing line monofiliment instead of wire. Looks easier to work with than wire.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »
We use a rubber band on some spools such as weed eater cord. Wrap some paper around it and pull from the top? Just guessing.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:56:03 pm »
Build a spool holder.  A scrap of wood with a dowel spike sticking up, and an eyelet to run the wire through. And Actually, a stick from the yard and a couple of bent nails work better.  You want some friction on the spool so it doesn't free wheel -- so rough construction is your friend.

Clear some workspace, clamp the spool holder at one end, and start your wiring at the far end.  As you lead the wire, slide the frame toward the wire spool.  Pull the half completed frame back to the far end and finish.  Move the the frame through the wire instead of pulling the wire through the frame (as much as possible).

I tighten the wire by
1. wrapping nails on the side of the end bars -- the 5/8 brads go through the ears into the top and bottom bars reinforcing that joint from the side.  When you nail off the brad to lock the wire, you tighten the tension a bit.
2. Wearing a lightweight workglove (cotton with rubber palms) to grip and pull with my "pulling hand".
3. *Important*  I pull the wire on the endbars between holes off axis with a fingernail, and staple the wire with a 1/4" shop staple.  You can take enormous slack off the wire by pulling it to the side.  Stapling also means if you pop a wire, only one segment sags, not  the whole network.    You need a good eye to catch the wire just right with the staple, and you need a strong fingernail.  Nail off the staple with a light tap.
4. I keep the wire from pulling into the frame wood by stapling below the wire to provide a rub point.  Do this after glue is dry and before you begin the wiring process.  Use 1/4 leg staples.   All staples need to be nailed off with a tap. Figure your wire pattern and only staple on the side that needs it.   They sell cute little brass eyelets for this purpose, but staples are cheaper and just as effective.  If you don't staple off the guide, the wire will cut into the wood, become loose and sag.

Embed against a board -- cut loosely to the inner dimension of your frame. You can use a spur embedder warmed in a teapot.  Knowing the temperature and pressure - not too much, not too hot -- is gained by experience.  Embed from the top side- wire into the wax.  *A thumb on a warm teaspoon* is a really good embedder.  You use just enough pressure to push the wire into the wax, not cut the foundation below.  The smooth even teaspoon doesnt tend to cut the wax the way the spur embedder does.   I use a fine silver teaspoon inherrited from my great-great aunt -- makes me smile everytime I use it, but it shaped precisely to minimize wax damage.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:30:44 pm »
Have you tried using plasticell foundation. I know there are all kinds of reports that the bees do not take to them but the truth is that is, if a super has all plasticell they build real fast on them. That is all I use now. No wires, no playing with putting them in. They just snap in in about 3 seconds each. My bees love them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:28:50 pm »

Good heavens guys what advices!!!

Surely you have experinced beekeeping friends who show you how to do it.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:30:22 pm »
He sure does. They are on this forum.That's why we come here everyday.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:18 pm »
He sure does. They are on this forum.That's why we come here everyday.

With their rubber bands and fishing lines.

. What is so difficult in wiring and frame assembling that everyone cannot learn it?

Hit 2 nails half way nes wire holes
String wire through wire holes
Hit a nail into frame.
twist tha wire around it
hit nail dow.
Pull from another head
Finger the wire like quitar and pull.
When wire give a sound, twist it around another nail
Hit nail down.

The room must be 25C that foundation is flexiple and it rests on wires
then electrict.

cut 10 cm slice from foundation that there will be a gap between lower frame bar and foundation. Otherwise foundation expands in hives heat and make a curve.

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 06:31:36 pm »
join your local bee club someone will show you then it becomes easy urube is good but hands one can't bee beat. Or come up to townsvillr and ill show you

Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 06:58:42 pm »
In youtube frame making advices are quite awfull. It takes whole day to make 10 frames.

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 08:52:23 pm »
if your assembling frames then go to beesource.com. They have a diagram for a frame assembly jig. I can do ten frames with titebond and my air in minutes. My foundation has wire and hooks and I don't cross wire it.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:29:07 am »
It is great to see so many people giving advice. Thanks.
Probably a good thread to post for all the newbies like myself so some practical advice can be talked about for such a time consuming part of maintaining bees.
It may seem simple, but I want to find out if there is a more efficient, and more faster way of doing the job, and I have some answers.

-I will try making the spool quite tight, so as to only feed wire slowly.
-I probably will look into the plastic foundations.

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 09:39:02 am »
hey Mackay I put a super of plastic on last week but don't know yet if the girls like it and have drawn them out ,will look on the weekend and report next week.Ive been buying my gear from beesonline in hervybay prices are not too bad and service is good.
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 10:58:49 am »
For tightening after installed.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Plastic-Pollen-Trap/productinfo/ND464/

Hey iddee- how do you suggest I use that pollen trap you posted to tighten my wire  :lau: JK
John 3:16

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 11:02:01 am »

but I want to find out if there is a more efficient, and more faster way of doing the job,

Do it first slow and when you learn it, then do it faster. "The work teaches its maker".

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 11:24:11 am »
OOPS!  Try this one. That one was meant for a lady in Wisconsin. Don't know how I got it mixed up.

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=3336333733343334&grouped=1

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline millipede

• House Bee
    • Bayou Bees
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 02:08:57 pm »
I do it the easy way. I wire the frames and let the bees make the rest. I might use a thin strip of plastic foundation or wood along the top of the frame as a starting guide for them.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 02:13:47 pm »
OOPS!  Try this one. That one was meant for a lady in Wisconsin. Don't know how I got it mixed up.

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=3336333733343334&grouped=1

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread when it comes to tightening the wires.    I don't know how I survived for so many years without one.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 04:53:46 pm »
Back when I did wire, I discovered it's extremely difficult without the right tools:

The crimper shown in the link I had the local machine shop modify:
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/WireCrimpers.JPG

I bought a spool holder, a foundation board and an embedder:
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/WireEmbedder.JPG

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#wiringtools

All of this brought wiring from practically impossible to just horribly tedious.  :)  I gave it up and went foundationless instead.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything