Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Excellent Fondant Recipe  (Read 11036 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Excellent Fondant Recipe
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:54:09 pm »
I found this one posted here, made it today, excellent!  Fed it to a light hive,bees took to it nicely!

2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups boiling water
Combine and heat ingredients,stirring until sugar dissolves.heat without stirring to 238 degrees(candy thermometer) or until medium ball.Pour into a  bowl and let cool to touch.beat until light and pour into wax paper lined molds.   Makes 1 small bread mold sized block !

Offline magnet-man

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
    • Honeymoon Apiaries
Re: Excellent Fondant Recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:11:23 am »
Good recipe. I used to use one close to it.

I have switch to this though for winter feeding.

3 cups of water
25 cups sugar
1 cup brewers yeast
1 tbs of Honeybee Healthy or a few drops of lemon grass oil (The Honeybee healthy/lemon grass oil is to make the feed more appetizing to the bees.)

1. boil the water
2. add 20 cups of sugar 5 cups at a time. Wait until dissolved before adding the next 5 cups.
3. Add Honeybee Healthy/lemon grass oil
4. mix the last 5 cups of sugar with the yeast and then add
5. pour into wax paper lined containers.

You don't have to worry if not all of the sugar is dissolved. Will make two 13"x9"x2" casserole dishes of feed.  If you use a glass casserole dish you, will have to warm it to release the feed. 

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 01:30:43 pm »
  I made a batch, bees seem to like it but, is the consistency supposed to be kind of like taffy or more crystalline?
  Thanks, David

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:17:55 am »
I made the Troutstalker mix.  Same question is it suposed to be taffy like or crystaline?  Seemed like the bees really liked it.  Mine turned out crystaline.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 08:39:32 am »
the texture depends on how hot you get it.  If it turned out crystalline, you went above the ~238F.   It is not a problem though.  I heat to 260-270F to make candy boards.  As long as the sugar doesn't caramelize it will be fine for the bees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison