Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Road to Wisdom  (Read 2997 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Road to Wisdom
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:14:08 pm »
I think I have taken the first step down the road to wisdom.  I have realized that I don't know squat.  I think I have manged to kill every bee under my control, in this, my first year.  On the bright side, I have lots of empty equipment to put bees in, some brand new.  Don't worry, not giving up, but won't be trying to answer ANY questions no matter how basic for quite some time.  "What does a bee look like?  I'm not sure....."

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: Road to Wisdom
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:55:53 pm »
I should probably apologize for  LOLing at your last line. -I hope you have better luck on your retry.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:56:31 pm »
Just remember it took Edison thousands of tries to perfect the light bulb, you’re still ahead of Edison!

Good luck with your next batch, I think you’ll do fine.  You’ve got a great attitude about it all.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:46:08 pm »
I have realized that I don't know squat. 
JC
How refreshing.   :-D   At least you know that you don't know.  There are plenty of folks around who don't know much but think they are geniuses. Of course the best way to learn is by doing... so you are on the right track.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline jldoll

• New Bee
  • Central Indiana
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »
Hi JC
At 60 years young
I can tell you.
A lesson earned.   Is a lesson learned.   And you are well on the way.
Just don't give up, we all have made our mistakes.
Not one person is a journeyman, that didn't start as an apprentice.
Good luck      Jerry
Better to have a gun and not need it
Than need one and don't have it

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:55:19 pm »
Monkey see, monkey do.
That's my model. I just look for the most successful monkey in the tree, and do what they do. So far, so good.  :roll:
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »
besides, even when you do everything right, it all can go wrong.   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 09:00:07 pm »
besides, even when you do everything right, it all can go wrong.   :evil:
As a rule.
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:21:19 pm »
I'd say your beating yourself up way too much.  You have learned the most important rule about bees they don't read the forum and they don't read books.  You'll do much better next go round besides i never learned anything from keeping them alive always learned more when they die.  Good luck with this year comming up i'm sure you'll be doing much better this year.   :-D
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:55 pm »
Thanks everyone.  It's true - you do learn more when things go bad.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 02:04:59 am »
  you now what they say-at the school of hard nocks they give the test first and
  the leason second--as long as where learning something-- :lol:--RDY-B

Offline WPG

• House Bee
  • The Land Between Two Rivers
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 03:14:17 am »
  I think I have managed to kill every bee under my control in this, my first year. 
JC

That reminds me of a talk I heard at a Forest Stewardship Conference some years ago by a State Forester on how to plant and raise a new forest.
He said 'that after 26 years he new alot of ways to kill alot of trees, and a few ways to keep them alive.'

The last few winters have been really tough on bees here in Iowa.

Hang in there.
Push, Pull or get Out of the Way

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:38:58 am »
As they say, there's more than one way to skin a bee.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 10:29:42 am »
 :-DI just remembered an expression my Dad used.  "To teach a mule something, first you have to hit him with a two-by-four to get his attention."  Consider 2 x 4 applied!

JC

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »

Losing bees is always most discouraging when your starting out. You will always lose some hives, at least I do. Once you have some successes the losses won't seem like such a big deal. Last spring I came out of the winter losing 2 out of 4 hives. Of the 2 that survived, one was very week. Then I lost the queen in the week hive and ended up with a laying worker. By the end of the summer I had 9 hives without buying any bees. Caught swarms and did splits. out of that 9 I lost only one this winter. I really have more than I want to deal with. Sometimes its just the luck of the draw.
  Good luck, David

anything