Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: my honey harvest (pics)  (Read 5038 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
my honey harvest (pics)
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:58:46 pm »

21 pints altogether ( I gave some away for those counting)

Look at how dark the one is on the left, and these came out of the same hive.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: my honey harvest (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:07:15 pm »
Beautiful...and that dark honey is just drippin' with flavor!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08:00 pm »
That is some dark honey.    Is there much of a taste difference between the light and dark?

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:16:47 pm »
i am no expert but the dark honey seems to have a short sweetness to it where the light honey has a sweetness that stays in your mouth a long time

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:25:17 am »
Congratulations on your harvest.  It is kind of fun to see the fruits of your labor all spread out like that on the counter -- not to mention the fun of tasting it over the coming months, if you don't give it all away first.  That is my problem.  I have promised so many people a sample of my first harvest, I won't have enough left for me to make it until next summer. Hopefully I'll be able to harvest at least some honey earlier in the summer next year (June instead of August) as my two hives will be second year hives by then, with maybe one or two more first year hives to help boost production.
Loved the pictures.  Can't believe how dark your honey is.  Do you know where it came from?  And how did you get two different colors?  Did you crush and strain all together or a frame or two at a time?
linda d

Offline gunner7888

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:29:14 pm »
Slacker, since i am fairly close to you and a newbee also, I have sort of followed your questions because they have often mirrored my own questions. I am sooo happy to see someone else with such dark honey. Mine was so dark I was a bit nervous about it (it tastes great) Others have assured me all is good, but I have no idea what they were foraging to get the honey so dark. I know buckwheat gives a dark honey, but as far as I know, no one around here plants it (although next year I will be planting a small lot of it)   Scott

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:45:26 pm »
hey gunner, someone told me that it is all goldenrod honey, the real darkstuff.  I am not sure why there is some light stuff in there also? maybe something else was blooming too.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:23:19 pm »
Black gold.   Texas T. 

Tell us about the harvest.   Crush it or extract?   How many frames?  Blond or brunette?

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 12:22:53 am »
blonde and brunette, oh wait that is another post..... :roll:

Crush and strain, I harvested right at the hive , well 20 feet from the hive, since i have the solid plastic frames, I just scraped them off into my bucket. A total of 12 frames all together. then with them still dripping from honey that I could not get off, I put the frames back in the hive for clean up.

Something about crush and strain ,it seems to waste about 1/2 pint of honey, it just wont come out of the wax maybe someone has some ideas on how to get all the honey out of the wax?

Offline Buz Green

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:36:49 am »

I rinse the wax off with fresh water and feed it to the bees (except for a few buckets which go to a friend who makes mead).
I know you think you understand what you thought I said I meant but what you heard is not what I said.

www.greenbeecompany.com

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:11:46 am »
Very nice. I have no honey this year, just hoping the bees get enough out of this blessedly long goldenrod season to get through the winter. But looking at others' harvests is greatly rewarding and gives me hope for the future.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:57:26 pm »
I think crush and strain wastes a little more than that in honey.   For every pound of wax you collect, it takes 12 pounds of honey to make that wax.  To get all the honey out of the wax, you really have to crush up the wax and give it a day or two to filter through (warm days also). 

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »
my wife says the honey smells waxy, bees waxy, is that because i crushed and strained? does spun honey not have this smell

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »
I don't see where the waxy would come from.   What did you use to filter the honey with?

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:38:31 pm »
a nylon paint strainer, does crush smell different from spun?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 08:56:43 pm »
Honey should smell like honey.   I have never seen a difference.   Maybe you have not aged that goldenrod honey enough?

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 09:00:28 pm »
i dunno i think it smells good but my wife says it smells like bees wax, and she really doesn't like the smell of bees wax , maybe ill take it to school and mass spectrometer the honey and see what is in it

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 09:05:51 pm »
Cool.   Take some pics and get us the results.   Very cool.

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 10:18:50 am »
Funny, I've always thought beeswax smelled like....honey!
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:53:06 am »
They both smell like money to me.