Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I clean a used hive?  (Read 6035 times)

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
Re: How do I clean a used hive?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 12:11:53 pm »
The problem with AFB is it's a spore producing bacteria.  That just means it has a shell that resists heat, chemicals, and so on.  Temperature should work if it is applied for a long enough time.  However, I have not found, in three years of searching, any good science to address it.

Most of the stuff I've heard are worried statements by beekeepers.  Think "Swine Flu."  It will last for 50 years, it survives nuclear holocaust, it will do "home invasion," and kill your cat as an example.

As an example, I was taught to "hard boil" water for 20 minutes to destroy the spores, organisms, and pathogens.  I would also recommend boiling the water for 20 minutes because then you know the temperature of the water.  It has been proven human pathogens and the spores die when held at 165°F (74°C) for 20 or more minutes.  You may have to heat the spores to 130°C (266°F) to kill the disease, but that seems like it's just brought to that temperature.

If I ever get a straight answer to that single question, I'll let everyone know.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 12:36:47 pm »
The problem with AFB is it's a spore producing bacteria.  That just means it has a shell that resists heat, chemicals, and so on.  Temperature should work if it is applied for a long enough time.  However, I have not found, in three years of searching, any good science to address it.

Most of the stuff I've heard are worried statements by beekeepers.  Think "Swine Flu."  It will last for 50 years, it survives nuclear holocaust, it will do "home invasion," and kill your cat as an example.

As an example, I was taught to "hard boil" water for 20 minutes to destroy the spores, organisms, and pathogens.  I would also recommend boiling the water for 20 minutes because then you know the temperature of the water.  It has been proven human pathogens and the spores die when held at 165°F (74°C) for 20 or more minutes.  You may have to heat the spores to 130°C (266°F) to kill the disease, but that seems like it's just brought to that temperature.

If I ever get a straight answer to that single question, I'll let everyone know.

1 The USDA tells me "hard boil"  (I ask about wood) for 4 Hr. will not destroy all the AFB spores, organisms, and pathogens.

2. The USDA tells me heat to 350F to kill AFB for 30 or more minutes (the wood will be on fire)

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:56:40 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 12:38:10 am »
Alright!

It makes you wonder what the point of stacking boxes, stuffing with newspaper, and scorching the inside is...

Thank you Jim!
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.