Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: interconnection of home computers  (Read 4982 times)

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
interconnection of home computers
« on: March 04, 2007, 12:38:21 pm »
Hi:

I have two computers. the new one running windows XP, and the old one running ME.  I have a couple of network cards, and am wondering if I can connect both computers in spite of the different operating systems.

thanks, ayyon2157
William H. Michaels

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
Re: interconnection of home computers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:06:41 pm »
i believe you can because we have 3 computers and 2 are xp and one is something else and it all is connected by one router.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 05:14:46 pm »
You need a router with a DHCP server. Make sure the router has about 4 ports for the computers in it. You can pick up a router like this from just about any major computer or electronics store.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:19:24 pm »
I've got a Linksys wireless-G broadband router.  I haven't been able to find out if I can print wirelessly from the laptop to the printer that's installed on the wired computer.  Is it possible?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 05:24:41 pm »
I've got a Linksys wireless-G broadband router.  I haven't been able to find out if I can print wirelessly from the laptop to the printer that's installed on the wired computer.  Is it possible?
Yes, as long as the printer is either connected through a computer that functions as a printserver or the printer has a network connection of it's own(aka jet direct).

My cups printer settings (these will not be what you see in windoze)
Description: HP_Color
Make and Model: HP Color LaserJet 2600n Foomatic/foo2hp (recommended)
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: socket://10.0.0.116

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 04:24:48 pm »
Different operating systems should not be an issue.  We run mostly Mac in my house but, also have a windoze "stink pad" that runs on the same network just fine.  Most routers are "plug and play" now and will have Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol already enabled (I just covered chapter 10 in CCNA online  :-D).  Just install the NICs (Network interface Cards) into the PCI slots of the mother boards if your computers don't already have those installed. 

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 10:28:10 pm »
You don't need a router with a DHCP server just to connect 2 computers together. Just get twisted pair RJ45 and plug one end into each computer's NIC.   Now, if you have a need for a 3rd network port for internet access, then you can get a really cheap hub.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 02:21:52 am »
Why would you just connect two computers together?  I assume he'd want access to the internet and therefore, you need a router.  You could get a hub but, hubs operate at layer 1 of the OSI model and, therefore, have collisions, stealing your bandwidth.  I am a firm believer in the use of switches. 

Also, if you're just going to connect two computers directly together, you need what's known as a "crossover cable".  The transmit and receiving pins are changed to that the two computers can "talk" directly to each other.  If you want to set up a network connecting the computers to a switch, switch to a router, or use a hub, you need what's known as a "Strait-thru" cable.  Besides, most routers come default "plug-and-play" with a DHCP server.  Of course, I'm the guy who likes to mess with old, cisco 2500 series routers just for the fun of it  :-D

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 08:16:52 am »
Yes, I missed the crossover part from my reply.  I have come across a lot of people over the years who just want to get 2 computers connected. A single crossover cable is the best way if you are not going to share an internet connection that requires a NIC. To someone who plays with cisco routers, getting them to work is fun. To most people who have problems getting their email each day, the whole setup can be confusing.. this is why the best buy geek squad makes so much money with so little knowledge.. :)

anything