Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My baby chicks aren't babies anymore-16 weeks last Wednesday....  (Read 4808 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
My baby chicks aren't babies anymore-16 weeks last Wednesday....
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:35:06 pm »
I took some pictures of the girls (and boy) the other night, and wanted to share with you guys.  I've got fifteen birds, three of each breed  are represented below:

This is Stumpy, my Buff Orpington rooster.  So far he's quiet enough that my neighbors haven't complained - that may change, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't need to be renamed Stew.  He's getting his adult plumage and is quite handsome:

Next is Emily, I think she's the lowest on the pecking order, poor thing.  She's a Golden Laced Wyandotte, with a defective comb, all she's really got is one little lump, the rest is quite sunken (note her tail, poor thing, all of the feathers have been picked out but one):

Esther is an EE, she's quite ferocious looking:

Queenie is, I believe, the queen hen out there.  Queenie goes wherever she wants, gets what she wants, sleeps where she wants.  I think she'll be the first to lay an egg, judging from the size and color of her comb:

Only one of the Rhode Island Reds have earned a name, and it isn't this one:

And finally, here they all are jostling for position on the roost.  They all end up across the top, Greg built them an extension so they'd all fit.  Note Queenie is furthest to the right, but with room to her right - she gets all the space she wants!!!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: My baby chicks aren't babies anymore-16 weeks last Wednesday....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:48:46 pm »
Nice birds!  I had a large flock of buff orpingtons a few years back.  They are alittle to broody but nice birds.  At that time I had 2 buff roosters.  They were big birds and could get abit mean to young children.  One even attacked me from behind once.  I had to straighten out the pecking order with him and he was fine after that.  They crowed all day long. Alot!! They also treaded on the hens until they had no feathers left. 

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:41:48 pm »
Esther looks like araucana.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:14:19 pm »
I wish she was, then I'd know I'd get blue eggs.  No, she's an Easter Egger, not even an Ameraucana, EE's are considered the mutts of the blue egg/green egg world.  But she's a neat chicken, I think I'll keep her!  :-D

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:57:03 pm »
They are beautiful!  Chix are so much fun.  I have 4 EEs, a couple have humongeous tufts on faces, look quite comical!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:15:40 pm »
With "The Knife" as his keeper Stumpy better be on his best behavior!!

Love the pic of them on the perch. BTW, I made up my mind that I don't like Queenie, up to me, she gets the axe!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 10:27:06 pm »
Now why would you pick on poor Queenie?  She's a gorgeous girl, JP, she'd sidle right up to you and perch on your arm if you'd let her.   And remember, if you give her the axe, there's the next hen down on the pecking order that becomes the top hen.  I think it would be one of the Barred Rocks, the two of them are always fluffing up at each other and chest bumping.  It's pretty funny!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:48:12 pm »
Now why would you pick on poor Queenie?  She's a gorgeous girl, JP, she'd sidle right up to you and perch on your arm if you'd let her.   And remember, if you give her the axe, there's the next hen down on the pecking order that becomes the top hen.  I think it would be one of the Barred Rocks, the two of them are always fluffing up at each other and chest bumping.  It's pretty funny!

I got the impression she's a bully!

"Queenie goes wherever she wants, gets what she wants, sleeps where she wants." 

"Note Queenie is furthest to the right, but with room to her right - she gets all the space she wants!!!"

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 11:19:06 pm »
There's always a top hen.  I've actually never seen her hurt any other chicken, she's just so big and commanding the others give way.  I think she'll be the first to lay an egg, her comb and wattles are getting big and red!  So don't kill my first egg layer, pretty please?  :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 11:09:07 am »
Ann, well done!!!  YOu have been a great mother, hee, hee.  Isn't it so cool when we raise these teeny tiny little chicks and they turn out to be beautiful women, good for you, you go girl.  Beautiful day, in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service