Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is this Nosema?  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Grid

• House Bee
Is this Nosema?
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:14:54 pm »
My hives.  The one on the left has Russian bees, pretty clean outside, and the sugar inside was clean.  I don't have pictures of this hive as my camera's batteries died.  The one on the right has Hawaiian bees, and has staining inside and out.  The two close-ups are of this hive.  The sugar was added fresh 5 days ago.  Is this Nosema?  If so, is there anything I can do for the bees at this time of year?

Thanks!
Grid

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Is this Nosema?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »
i'm guessing that it's cleansing flights.  even in the box with the sugar, there was room for a bit of flying.  did it happen during a warm up?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Grid

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:47:46 pm »
I think so.  5 days ago it was warmer during the day (-5C) when I put the sugar on, and then it was colder (-10C/-15C) until today, where it is back to -5C.  It could have happened today I guess.

It looks normal to you?  This is my first year with bees over-wintering, so I'm not sure what is normal.

Thanks.
Grid.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:10:12 pm »
It's dysentary, but that may or may not be Nosema.  Only a microscope can tell for sure.  But the field method has always been to "field strip" some bees.  Basically you pull them apart and look at their gut.  It should be translucent to transparent.  If it's white and opaque that's a sign they probably have Nosema.  But only a microscope can tell for sure.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:28:33 pm »
when they have been kept in for a long period of time, they sometimes will make a mess when they first fly.  if it is not ongoing, i would not worry.  some hives are worse than others about it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Grid

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:32:41 pm »
Ok.  Dysentery it is.  I will field-strip a couple of bees next warm day, and if I can grab enough bees, I will crush them with 10cc of water and put a few drops on a microscope.

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to help the bees?  I have the entrance reducer on the bottom on the wider opening (shows in the pic) plus a 2" top vent/entrance.  The SBB is closed off.  Would additional ventilation help?  I could remove the entrance reducer and/or open the SBB an inch or two.  I am reluctant to use Fumagilin-B, and cannot think of a good delivery system for it this time of year anyway (spray the sugar mound with it?).  I am hoping that the dysentery (maybe nosema) will clear up if I can improve the bees environment.  Unfortunately, they may need honey and pollen, but I had a bad start to a lousy season last year, so all they get is pollen substitute and sugar.

Thanks.
Grid.

Offline Grid

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:49:39 pm »
when they have been kept in for a long period of time, they sometimes will make a mess when they first fly.  if it is not ongoing, i would not worry.  some hives are worse than others about it.

Thanks kathyp.  :)

Grid.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:22:51 am »
If you want to operate on the assumption they have Nosema (which I wouldn't) then feeding them is the best thing.  Anything.  Honey would be best, but syrup will work.  Something to flush out their guts.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Grid

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:13:04 am »
Thanks - I don't want to assume anything, and in this case it sounds like the best thing to do is leave them alone until it warms up enough for me to feed them syrup, and then just let the bees flush themselves out.

One more question - in the third picture above I have dry sugar on newspaper, and a pollen patty half on the sugar half on the top bars near the front of the hive.  Does this matter?  Should I put the patty in the middle under the paper directly on the top bars?  It's been a week and the bees have not touched the patty or the sugar.  I know I am fretting, but I can't help it.  First winter following a pretty awful season (never more than a day or two without rain), so I am behaving like a mother hen.  :)

Cheers,
Grid.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 11:18:37 am »
they'll take it if they need it.  it helps to dampen the sugar just a bit if it's not absorbing moisture from the air.  other than that, just wait and see.  as for the pollen patties, they only need that if they are raising brood.  if they are not, they'll probably leave it.  if they are finding natural pollen, they will probably leave yours.

anything